My 2014 MBP has installed a dGPU all by itself!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chris6699, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Chris6699 macrumors newbie

This may seem a little crazy but I'm sure I purchased (off eBay) a MBP without the nvidia GPU! I'm almost positive that I saw the Intel iris pro on "system details" but today, whilst in the Steam settings, it said I have the nvidia gpu and now my system details say the same!

Is this a Yosemite update thing, has anyone else experienced this or am I plain going mad?

Without opening my MBP up, is there a sure way of finding out what's in my MBP?

2. leman macrumors 604

Can you tell us the model identifier of your MBP as it appears in the system report? (Apple icon in the menu -> about this mac -> cliché the system report button -> click on hardware)

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Assuming that you have the 15" model, that's normal. The system has the Iris Pro and the 750M. With "automatic graphics switching" it'll use the Iris when you're not doing anything strenuous (to save battery) and will swap over to the 750 when you need it.

If you go into About This Mac > System Report > Graphics/Displays, you'll see both listed.

4. Chris6699 thread starter macrumors newbie

MacBookPro11,3

The thing thats throwing me is the fact that when i asked the seller if it had the nvidia graphics, they said that it hadn't and when i received the MBP, I'm sure that when i checked "about this mac", it had intel pro iris where it now says NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB. I mean, id be very happy if they where mistaken and i do have the better model but i can't see how this has happened?

5. JoelTheSuperior macrumors 6502

JoelTheSuperior

It definitely came with the Nvidia GPU.

The models with the Nvidia GPU do automatic switching so it'll show the Intel Iris Pro in 'About This Mac' unless the Nvidia GPU is currently active, ie if you've got Photoshop or another app that requires it running.

6. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Beat me to it.

15'' rMBPs use graphics switching to save battery life. The currently active GPU is seen in About This Mac under the Displays tab. To see the actual GPU hardware you have in your system, go into About This Mac and click on "System Report" or "More Info". It will be under "Graphics/Displays". There you should see both the integrated and dedicated GPU listed.

My hardware in the screenshot differs a bit from the OP's, but this is basically what info on a rMBP with graphics switching looks like. Note the Intel HD Graphics 4000, which was the currently active GPU when I shot this.

Attached Files:

7. Chris6699 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ive just switched off/on automatic graphics switching and it is indeed showing the iris pro again. Also just had a chat with apple and they have confirmed that it has the nvidia graphics.

Looks like i've have had an even bigger bargain than i first thought! Happy days! Thanks guys!

8. leman macrumors 604

Well, the seller must have made a mistake (or they did not care). Enjoy your unexpected upgrade :)

9. Chris6699 thread starter macrumors newbie

They definitely didn't advertise it correctly! I had a huge bargain before i found this out as the person who won the bid was bogus so the seller offered it to me for my max bid....which was surprisingly low!

Well this has made my day! :)

10. JoelTheSuperior macrumors 6502

JoelTheSuperior

Fantastic to hear that. Enjoy your new MacBook!

11. Greg1fraser, Dec 10, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2014

Greg1fraser macrumors member

12. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

Congrats! Do you mind telling us how much you got for it?