My 2016 macbook WO Touchbar doesnt detect usb on my OWC USB C station

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andpgud, Feb 3, 2017.

1. andpgud macrumors newbie

My 2016 macbook WO Touchbar doesnt detect usb on my OWC USB C station
    I got it working with my mouse and went to eat. When I got back it wasnt working anymore, but still supplies power to the laptop. What should I do here?
    I am new to Mac as this is my first apple laptop

2. Sanpete macrumors 68020

What have you already tried to fix it? Sometimes something as simple as disconnecting and reconnecting can fix it. You can also try using a different port on your MBP to see if that matters.

3. andpgud thread starter macrumors newbie

tried all the ports and everything. Dont know how to uninstall the drivers and reinstal though

4. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Can you try your OWC hub on a different computer to see if it works normally? If so, I'd try that'll next.

(I think there's a simple way to uninstall the driver, but I've never had to use it, and don't know what it is.)

5. andpgud thread starter macrumors newbie

I have found aout after I uninstall the driver it starts working but the second I unplug the usb c from the computer I need to do the same proceidure again and again.
    What am I missing here?

6. Sanpete macrumors 68020

So it works without the driver? There's one issue that you seem to have identified--the driver.

Are you saying the driver reinstalls itself each time? There's probably some simple code you could run to avoid that. But I don't know what it is.

I wonder if there would be a problem using it without the driver. OWC might be able to answer that one.

7. andpgud thread starter macrumors newbie

found the solution on the owc site and it works now

If you have connected a MacBook or MacBook Pro host to the USB-C Dock and are experiencing problems, please make sure you are not using the Apple-supplied USB-C cable that shipped with the computer. Those specific cables are intended primarily for charging purposes and in the case of the MacBook will only operate at USB 2.0 speeds. When using Apple-supplied USB-C cables with the 2016 MacBook Pro models, no USB-C Dock functionality is possible other than providing a charge.

8. volzalum macrumors member

OWC says with latest version of Sierra to not use the driver.
    IMG_1288.jpg

"If you have connected a MacBook or MacBook Pro host to the USB-C Dock and are experiencing problems, please make sure you are not using the Apple-supplied USB-C cable that shipped with the computer. Those specific cables are intended primarily for charging purposes and in the case of the MacBook will only operate at USB 2.0 speeds. When using Apple-supplied USB-C cables with the 2016 MacBook Pro models, no USB-C Dock functionality is possible other than providing a charge."

And yes, you either need to use the cable that came with it or get a USB-C 3.0 cable or a Thunderbolt 3 cable. I went with Thunderbolt 3 on mine so I could place my computer further from the dock.