My 2019 MacBook Pro gets HOT and the fan runs 12+ hours a day!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hieveryone, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

Hieveryone

I downloaded a software program that gives me real time information in graphs and charts, and at the same time I stream 5 live stations (mostly news), as well a couple web pages that push live information in real time, and of course browsing Twitter, Facebook, forums, YouTube, and so on

I do this for AT LEAST 12 hours a day and the fan runs the whole time

Is this ok?

2. Kung gu macrumors member

yes, its OK. It would happen on any other laptop as well. Remember, ur macbook fans up to dispel the heat, if it did not ur laptop would be cooked.

3. leman macrumors G3

Post an activity monitor CPU tab screenshot, sorted by CPU %.

4. BluAffiliate macrumors regular

5. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Hieveryone

But overall is it ok for the laptop? To be running it like this?

6. darwichee90 macrumors newbie

I love how everyone is trying to advertise this as a feature, like it´s a good thing and completly ok for a $2000+ laptop.

7. leman macrumors G3

If he continuously runs CPU-demanding software (from what it sounds), then yes, it’s a feature, and it’s called “working as it’s supposed to”. The price of the computer does not make any difference in this.

8. jerryk, Aug 14, 2019 at 9:05 AM
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 10:08 AM

jerryk macrumors 601

15" Macbooks Pros run their fans whenever they are turned on. The speed will vary based on the load. When the system is idle the fans run around 2000 rpm and ramp up from there as the needed.

So the fans spinning is normal. If they stop, that is a problem.

9. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

What about a $2,500 laptop? Or $3,000? How much DO we need to spend to bend the laws of physics?

10. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Hieveryone

Ok well I understand that it's working correctly with the fans running continuously, but now what I'm asking is that is this ok for the computer to run it like this?

I mean I've never used a computer this hard before

11. jerryk macrumors 601

It has been designed to work hard and keep temps under control while under high load.

It not unusual for me to train Neural Network models on my 2018 MBP. The training can run for 2 hours and the whole time the fans are running wide open (approx 4500 rpm) and sounds like a plane taking off. Looking at the curves the system will decrease clock speed to run cooler as needed.

I have been doing this for a year with no ill effects.

12. Webster's Mac macrumors regular

The fans run 24/7 at an idle RPM (except for some newer machines...not sure if the 2019 model is one of them). All of the older unibody MBPs run their fans all the time. It's at a near-silent idle speed though. Increasing fan speeds due to load is completely normal. Now if they are running at their maximum speeds all of the time, regardless of load, that could indicate a problem. But if you open more windows or fire up a game and THEN they get loud, that is normal and will not harm the laptop.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 14, 2019 at 11:19 AM ---
    Because it is.

You can throw as many thousands of dollars as you want at these machines, but nobody...not you, not Apple, not the president, etc can escape physics. Ultra thin laptops with powerful CPUs will run crazy hot and the fans kick in more aggressively to cool them off.

Why do you think gaming laptops are so thick? It's so that they can cool those CPUs/GPUs better But you pay the price in thickness. Thicker laptops with bigger/better fans and much larger heatsinks will cool themselves much better than razor thin ultrabooks (which Macbook Pros are).

13. Ploki macrumors 68040

These chips are hot as hell.
    I bet the 13" would handle that load with ease and not run half as loud. (my experience anyway).

what he described is not such a big load.

comparison:
    same Logic Pro project on:
    15": fans at 3000rpm
    13": fans at 0 rpm

when GPU kicks in on the 15"ers, it becomes worse. there's no way you won't hear fans with an app that activates the discrete gpu.

14. niray9, Aug 14, 2019 at 12:41 PM
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 3:19 PM

niray9 macrumors newbie

Are you happy with performance+heating/cooling when training Neural Network models on the 2018 MBP?

I recently got the 2018 2.6/16/512, but am not sure if the 32gb makes more sense, however the price delta is almost $680(including taxes) for me for a refurbished one with 32Gig from Applestore(I got a good deal from Costco on the 2018/16gb). So, the value of the 32gb is really poor.

In addition, the GPU is not powerful enough and if deeplearning needs to be done using CUDA the AMD GPU doesn't support that. Also, from Mojave, Nvidia drivers not available if NVIDIA egpu's need to be used, AFAIK.

Thoughts?

15. jerryk macrumors 601

Not all happy with the performance of the MacBook Pro for machine learning. As you said, Deep Learning needs CUDA/CUDAnn support which is NVidia's proprietary code. And with the bad blood between Apple and NVidia I don't see a Nvidia GPU in a Mac anytime in the near future.

I only use the MBP for training when I am away from my main desktop system which has RTX 2070s in it. With that set up I can often see a 10-15 times performance increase from the MacBook Pro. Another option I use is Colab (online Jupyter Notebook) (colab.research.google.com). They offer GPU or TPU acceleration. There I can see a 3-5 times performance increase from the MacBook Pro on certain models.

16. niray9, Aug 14, 2019 at 3:49 PM
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 4:01 PM

niray9 macrumors newbie

Macbook to imac ssh works great(wife has an imac with rx580, much faster gpu, although amd)

Is it easy/(have you tried) to ssh to a nvidia system running linux from mac os terminal?

OR

Is the answer to vnc from mac to a linux machine running nvidia gpu?

17. jerryk macrumors 601

Haven't really player around much VNCing into a local linux machine. I just use colab usually (or GCS-Google Cloud Service, Azure, or AWS). It is pretty neat to code and train models from my iPad Pro (with a cloud server:rolleyes:). And still better than the MBP locally

18. terminator-jq macrumors 6502

That’s been my experience as well. The 2019 15” is a quick and powerful machine but it does get HOT! I’m coming from a 15” 2017 and my 2019 is noticeably hotter... for the times when I do use my laptop on my lap, the 2019 can get quite uncomfortable to use, whereas my 2017 could be used for quite a while without making my legs too hot.

That being said, it’s a very fast machine and the keyboard is soooooo much better this time.

It will be very interesting to see what Apple does for the next generation MacBook pros. Air flow for sustained performance has taken a major focus in the new Mac Pro and even the new Pro Display. Hopefully that trend will continue with the new laptops.