Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wkw

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2004
Eugene, OR
I must say I am really liking Applecare right about now.

My refurb 24" 3.06 has been in the shop 3 times because of intermittent shutdowns.

4 weeks of total downtime. 3 power supplies, 2 main logic boards and 1 graphics card were replaced.
The latest repair seemed to fix the random shutdowns but
my latest issue was with weird graphic artifacts and screen flashing/flickering.

Apple offered to upgrade my machine to a new 3.06 27". I am upgrading that (for $500) to an i7 machine.

I have been following many of the threads about the various problems with the 27's and I have my fingers crossed. Hopefully mine will be good.

i7QuadCoreMania

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2009
lol, good for you, but if I were you I'd take out a voltage meter and check your power outlets. Do you have the iMac on a surge protector? UPS?

Sounds like a coincidence, but wow, all those problems with 1 computer?

You're lucky they are being so generous, but yah I'd be worried the new one would fry too.:D

007bond

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2008
DFW, Texas
3 replaced lcds
1 replaced graphics card(they put the wrong one in)
1 new logic board
1 new power supply
2 New Ram modules

Couldn't fix my machine. Screen issues and random shutdowns on the iMac 24.

Apple sent me a 27" 3.06ghz for free. Took forever, but at least i got a usable computer

wkw

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2004
Eugene, OR
lol, good for you, but if I were you I'd take out a voltage meter and check your power outlets. Do you have the iMac on a surge protector? UPS?

Sounds like a coincidence, but wow, all those problems with 1 computer?

You're lucky they are being so generous, but yah I'd be worried the new one would fry too.:D

thats a good suggestion. I will check it out before I start up the 27. funny thing is, I bought the 24 instead of the 27 thinking it would be more reliable. that plan definitely backfired

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I would definitely get a battery backup. A GOOD surge protector (as in not the $7 kind but the $35+ kind) is nice, but if you have an outage it still cuts off power immediately and if your HD is spinning it could have problems since it wouldn't get properly shut down.

A battery backup, in addition to providing voltage regulation, can give you up to an hour or two of productivity without power, or if you get a cheap one you could at least get 15 mins to wrap up, save your work, and shut down properly to avoid damage.

I sincerely hope no one here is plugging an iMac directly into the wall!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.