My 24 Inch Imac Suddenly Shut Down

Discussion in 'iMac' started by beeinformed, Oct 25, 2012.

1. beeinformed macrumors 6502

Hi,

I have a 24 inch imac computer and it was idle for about an half hour. When i clicked on the mouse, the screen remained black and even after numerous attempts by clicking on the mouse, the screen continued to remain black.

I finally clicked on the power button and the computer turned on. I would like to add that this computer has had a power supply replacement this past April and two days after this part was replaced, the same issues that I've had before this part was replaced, have continued, as well as others such as a loud noise when attempting to insert a cable into one of the ports.

I would apreciate any feedback from members who have ever experienced their imac suddenly shutting down, when computer was idle. Thanks! :)

2. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

I've got a 2010 21.5" that is doing this. Apple sent out a technician and he replaced the power supply and logic board. Right after he left, it did it again. It does it in OS X, it does it at the login screen, even while running a hardware diagnostic. Apple sent the tech out again, and he replaced the power supply and logic board again. Still, the same problem. I've tried a different hard drive and different RAM as well. Same problem. Apple is now replacing the computer.
    The gist of this post is that it's very hard to tell what is causing the problem. I'd suggest running the hardware test to see if it finds anything. It could be the PSU, the logic board, even bad RAM. Good luck!