My 2G speaker review...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Dale Sorel, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

So I was at a meeting last night and a friend there had one of the new 2G touches. So I pulled out my 1G touch and plugged in my Apple in-ear headphones so I could compare the volume levels. And guess what: my iPod with the headphones was just a tad louder. Both of us were a little suprised. YMMV.

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

It's been explained quite a bit, even by Steve Jobs at the Let's Rock keynote. It hasn't been designed and implemented for people to use to listen to entire albums, playlists or movies. It's been intended more for quickly showing people YouTube videos or playing brief parts of songs.

3. blackbelt534 macrumors regular

4. Obama macrumors member

5. Dale Sorel thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

In case you missed it, the title of this thread is My 2G speaker review. That's how it's a review :rolleyes:

6. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Wait, so you turned up the headphones all the way and set them down next to the 2G touch to compare?

7. Dale Sorel thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

Well, according to my little test you can do the same with a 1G and a pair of headphones.

8. Dale Sorel thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

That's exactly what I did!

9. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

10. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Well it must have had something wrong with the speaker because my 2G totally kicked the ass of my old 1G with headphones turned all the way up.

11. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

Its not a speaker review, its a headphone review. Anyway, here is a good review for the internal speaker for the 2g, crap. Jobs should stop making the ipods like him, becoming thinner and make some room to add some decent speakers. I wouldn't mind if it was a lil fatter if we had some better speakers :mad: I could care less if i own the thinnest mp3 player in the world.

12. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Speaker works fine for me. Plays audio loud enough for all but streaming quicktime videos ( for whatever reason the output for streaming H.264 is quite low). You do miss some details from the speaker (obviously) however it is great for games, and for casual video watching (like when I am cooking, or working on something at my desk).

I would be curious to find out what kind of headphones and what average volume level people who "dislike the internal speaker", are using. I personally use ~1/4 volume (often less & sometimes slightly more depending on background noise) on my iPods, and have since my first in 2004. This is using the stock white headphones.

I have noticed that my friends who have a "hard time" hearing my iPod speaker, often listen to their iPods at closer to, or over half volume most of the time.

My point,

The opinion on the internal speaker could be related to the individual's ability to hear.

[​IMG]

13. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

I've noticed the same thing with my friends.

14. Obama macrumors member

I don't mind that the speaker is half assed because at least Steve told us before hand and only advertised that the speaker would be for 'casual' listening.
    I would've been angry if I didn't have that heads up.

15. Dale Sorel thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

You must be joking... this 2G was brand new with zero scratches anywhere. But don't worry, you can keep on thinking the 1G is crap if you want to :rolleyes:

16. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

The iPhone 3G speaker is outstanding! I'm guessing the iPod Touch's is closer to the 1G iPhone.

17. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Just because it was 'brand new' and had 'no scratches' doesn't mean the speaker works properly, it could be a faulty part. Think before making yourself look like a fool.

18. Dale Sorel thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

I guess that's one of the problems with the Internet, in our little minds we like to think that anything's possible. When in reality, most of the time, the things we like to dream up aren't very likely. So go ahead and think that my friend has a touch with a bum speaker. Then you can continue on thinking how superior you are because you have a 2G touch :rolleyes:

And about making myself look like a fool on the Internet... why should I be any different from all the other folks here.

19. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Published test video

Well putting opinion and boarderline personal attacks aside, I had taken a few free moments to make a quick video using my Digital camera's movie mode.

I currently don't have access to a first generation iPod Touch, so I did all the tests with my 8gb 2nd generation. This shouldn't be a problem as most people agree that the audio output (from headphones) is similar if not exactly the same between the two generations of Touch.

When viewing waveforms from the video, the Internal speaker is producing the loudest audio, though not as rich (or warm) as the Bose headphones. The Apple earbuds produced the least overall volume and was also the hardest to hear. I know the OP claimed to use in ear hedphones, however in my limited experience with those (I only have one 1 pair (lost someplace at work)), they tend to produce less audible sound when blasted at full volume (to be used as speakers).

Regardless. It is much more elegant (IMHO) to share video clips, or game audio utilizing the internal speaker v.s. handling an iPod with headphones (of any size) connected.

[​IMG]

20. WordLife565 macrumors regular

1. the 2g speaker sucks, i had one.

2. apple earphones are the worst.

3. apple earphones are THE WORST!