Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
My old faithful go-to mac pro just died on me, exact same symptoms as my earlier one.
Power on, white light comes on, fans all start up normal speeds and there is some disk noise I think from the optical drive.
But no startup chime, just sits there doing nothing.

Anyone else ever experienced a problem like this?
These 2 machines are both 4,1's upgraded to 5,1, and were both running Mojave when they went south.

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
No, but I’m sorry to hear. What are next steps, repair facility or trash / selling for parts?

(Asking for a friend, had a 2008 MBP die and after sending it in it failed again —> parts).... (damn I miss that machine)

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
My old faithful go-to mac pro just died on me, exact same symptoms as my earlier one.
Power on, white light comes on, fans all start up normal speeds and there is some disk noise I think from the optical drive.
But no startup chime, just sits there doing nothing.

Anyone else ever experienced a problem like this?
These 2 machines are both 4,1's upgraded to 5,1, and were both running Mojave when they went south.
If you press the DIAG button and EFI DONE is not lit, you have a brick. Read about SPI flash failure.

The first step to repair is to confirm that is only the backplane that is not working, install a confirmed working backplane on your Mac Pro and see if it works again, then you repair/replace the original one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.