My 3 day old Iphone 32gb 3G-S Screen Crapped out!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Khabbi, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Khabbi macrumors member

Well, on day 3 of light use of my new 32gb iPhone I went to use it and the screen was completely white with very light (and wide) blue lines on it. I could only read the very upper line with the time and signal strength, that's it. I tried a soft reset, nothing. The screen was TOAST!

There was no drop of the phone, was never near liquid, nothing. Only in my holster on my hip all day.

Luckily I could still use the voice control and called my wife to tell her my phone was out of comission, otherwise I was completely and utterly screwed without my lifeline to work and family!

I took it into the local apple store to see what they could do, and saw the line of about 30 people waiting to get their new 3GS... found a helpful person that got me back to the genious bar, only to find out that I would have at least a 2 hour wait to get this exchanged out... When I mentioned about getting an exchange for a new one, they asked where I had bought it at... I told them the Apple Online Store, and they said they couldn't do it because I didn't buy it in store... hmm, Apple really isn't Apple, or so it seems with internet purchases. I did have one of my friends return a computer to a store that he had purchased at the apple store online though.. interesting.

I had to go back to work, and finally returned late in the afternoon and got worked in- only waited 15 minutes then.

The guy working the genious bar said that it was definately a defective unit :(. I asked how many they've seen so far over the 3 days, and he told me 3 total (out of the prob. thousands they've sold there).

Just my luck!! I can't believe I got a bad iPHone, this was very frustrating and I'm glad I wasn't in a more critical situation or on vacation when it decided to crap out, that could have been VERY bad....

Had to again go through setup, synch, adding my MAC address to my wifi, etc., etc, but finally got it back to where it should be... I'm hoping for better luck on this one...

2. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

It happens. The important thing is they got you taken care of. :apple:

3. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

That's really too bad. I suppose a few have to slip through the cracks. Good luck getting it sorted out.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. It is a pain, but they will take care of you.

5. cjb23 macrumors newbie

if you call the apple online store, they will tell you that youll have a faster turn around time if you take the iphone directly to a B&M apple store for an exchange - at least thats what they told me on the phone

6. Mike2128 macrumors 6502

I had ordered online, had a defective unit, swapped it out in store, but for a replacement unit, not a "new" one. Same thing, really, but still, why the discrepancy?

7. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

manufacturing reality

All products have a failure rate and if this is a true ratio, it's very high on the success rate if it's anywhere near three failures out of thousands sold.

Some of the reason for it has to be that the base 3g was already pretty well engineered and that will only add to the overall manufacturing stability.

You can't take a DOA or quick failure personally though. Besides, Apple has a better record of working with its customers.

Buy a TV and see how many stores will direct you to deal with the manufacturer. On many of those products, people have to send the unit back to a factory and wait weeks for a repair.

That's on a brand new unit.