My 3g connection is very unstable

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jayimsu, Dec 4, 2008.

1. jayimsu macrumors newbie

Hi pre 2.1 my phone was working fine in every aspect. Had 3g reception, would switch to edge, and switch back to 3g (when available)

After firmware 2.1. Whenever I enable 3g i get no cellular data frequently when I try to browse. After a couple minutes it'll display "searching" then find a signal and work fine for a few minutes only to lose connection again. My phone works perfectly fine in edge but at this point 3g has no use for me. I can't even receive/make calls reliably on 3g. I have tried restoring my phone, resetting network settings, restart my phone....I'm out of ideas. Anyone know any advice?

2. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

It may be because of where you live, but I had a similar problem with one of my iPhone 3Gs that I have since replaced. It would get 3G for like a minute, then go to searching, then to edge, then searching, then 3G and so forth on a regular basis. I took it to the genius bar and they had a genius walk outside with me where we knew there was 3G and it did the same thing. I showed him and 5 mins later, I was out with a new iPhone. Check your 3G coverage and if you do live in 3G area, make a genius bar appointment and they should be able to help you. :)

3. jayimsu thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I live in Los Angeles County. 3g was always working fine for me until the firmware upgrade. Do you think my phone could be defective?