My 3G Experience

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cracka97, Aug 6, 2008.

1. cracka97 macrumors newbie

Today I decided it was finally time to upgrade my 1st gen iPhone to the 3G. As you can see, my old one wasn't in the best of shape.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I dropped it in February and called Apple and asked if I could get it replaced (the crack wasn't as bad as it is in the picture, and the screen was clear). They told me that it would cost $250 because it was accidental damage, which I thought was ridiculous just to replace a ****** glass screen. I then asked if I could use my $100 rebate towards that and they said I could not, even though on Apple's website about the rebate it says that it can be used towards anything in the store. So after several arguments with several people I said **** it, I'm not paying $250 to get a new screen, I don't have that much money and it still works perfectly fine.

Once the new iPhone came out I decided that I would get it once I had time to drive 2 and a half hours to Philadelphia to buy it. Well last week I dropped it again, worsening the crack and putting the white section and colored lines all over the phone. As a side note, the phone still worked perfectly despite the fact that I could not see nearly half of the screen. I'm going to be a senior in high school next year and was planning to go to Philadelphia to visit a few colleges today and decided that since there was an Apple store only 15 minutes out of the way, I would stop and pick one up. I called that particular store, and told them my situation. They said that I could use my $100 rebate towards the purchase of the phone and they said it would only take 15 minutes to pick it up. So today after visiting Villanova, I arrived at the store and there was a line of about 10 people waiting for the iPhone. After getting in line I noticed that there was a rather large sign at the entrance of the store stating that due to an change AT&T's billing system, that current iPhone users would not be able to upgrage until August 10th at 12. Disappointed, I started walking away when another person waiting in line informed me that that was not effective until tomorrow. GREAT, now I can get my new iPhone today. But why would the Apple store put that sign out a day before it was going into effect, especially without anything about it not going into effect until the next day.
    I got my 'ticket' and was told that it would be about an hour until I would get into the store. I first questioned why it would take an hour to get 10 people a new iPhone? When I got my first one I was out of the store within 5 minutes of entering. I understand that they activate the phones in the store now, but why can't they give us the choice to either activate it at the store or at home? For those of us that aren't completely ****ing retarded, we shouldn't have to wait in line, behind people that don't even know what 3G is or how to use the damn thing, for someone to activate our phone when we could most likely activate it ourselves faster anyways. Now I know that there were a lot of people who had problems activating their phones the first time around and I know that it wasn't always their fault either. But I also know that 90% of the people who had to wain in line for the 3G would rather at least have the choice to activate it themselves. So after half an hour of waiting and only one person in line going into the store, I knew I was going to be there for a long time.
    They had a section roped off right outside of the store for the people waiting for the iPhone to wait, but there was no sign indicating that. So the entire time that I was there, about every other minute a new person would walk by, drop their jaw and gasp, "IS THIS THE LINE TO GET INTO THE STORE?!" After about five people doing this I was irritated. There were also those people who were so dumb they thought it was normal that there was a line to get into the store and just stood in line even though they just wanted to look around in the store. There was an elderly lady in line two people in front of myself who was so irritated with this that anytime someone stopped and looked at the line she would groan, "THIS IS THE LINE FOR THE IPHONE, IF YOU'RE NOT WAITING FOR AN IPHONE STEP RIGHT IN." I stood in line for nearly 2 hours which is bad enough without people asking the same question the entire time.
    I would love for someone from Apple to please explain to me why we have a huge sign outside that does not pertain to anything at the time, yet can't get a ****ing sign indicating that no you do not have to wait in line to get into the store, you have to wait 2 hours to buy a ****ing phone that you should be able to purchase in less than 5 minutes. TAKE YOUR ****ING SIGNS AND SHOVE THEM UP YOUR ****ING ASS APPLE.
    With only two people left in front of me, I then watched two young men who got a ticket in line earlier and then said that they would return later, walk into the store with their ticket, give it to a worker, who promptly went into the back to get their phone. I asked the gentleman behind me to hold my spot as I walked into the store and stopped the worker getting the iPhone for the two guys before he got to them. I said "What do I have to do to get an iPhone?" He responded by telling me that I had to go get a ticket from the kid out front and then wait in line. I told him that I had a ticket and had been waiting for two hours and also informed him that the people he's giving the iPhone in his hand to had not waited in line, but just walked in. He went and got the manager who told me that there was a problem with their account with AT&T and they had waited in line earlier. He then told me he would get my phone for me now. I told him I wasn't the next person in line, and that I watched the people get their ticket, walk away, come back and walk right in without waiting in line at all. He walked away without saying anything to me so I returned to my spot in line. I waited another 15 minutes and finally got into the store. I was out within 15 minutes of entering with my brand new iPhone 3G. And all I have to say is **** YOU APPLE.

Also does anyone know if you can get the 3G taken off the phone since I don't get it at my house and don't really want to pay $10 more a month for something I'm never going to use?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Wow you're angry… Cheer up! I had to wait 3 hours so I could get a replacement AC adapter for my MBP! I didn't even buy a phone.

And yes it's products in-store and repairs do not count as in-store products; it's considered a service.

3. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Man, that's a horribly experience... I'm almost certain there is no way to have the 3G taken off of the AT&T bill. Sorry. It's because they have no way to prevent you from using the 3G even though you do not pay for it.

4. cracka97 thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't find the page on Apple's site with the information, it appears to have been removed, but I'm almost positive that it said it can be used towards anything in the store, not specifying products only or saying it couldn't be used for repairs. But I'm not going to argue with you because I can't find the website.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I just noticed you said rebate--is it rebate or store credit; and also is this the $100 from the iPhone fiasco?

If it's the iPhone fiasco; it says "the purchase of any product at an Apple Retail Store or the Apple Online Store."

6. cracka97 thread starter macrumors newbie

My bad, it's the credit. And I know it says that in the letter but, on the site that you signed up for the credit on, in all the fine print it said you could use it for anything in the Apple store. I don't know why we are discussing this, I'm glad they didn't let me use it because I'd rather have the new phone since it was cheaper than getting my other one fixed anyway.

7. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

If only people would understand how much easier and smooth doing a DF order is. No line, took me a total of 12 min before I was out of the store with my new phone. No BS and no need to curse... Can't beat it.

8. cracka97 thread starter macrumors newbie

9. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

A direct fullfilment from an AT&T store. They order whatever phone you want and it is shipped in.

10. cracka97 thread starter macrumors newbie

That would be wonderful, however, I had a $100 store credit for the Apple store not AT&T.

11. stevey500 macrumors 6502

Well, yes, there's a 3G "switch" in the network settings under "general"

12. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

???

That switch allows the user to shut 3G of not AT&T, not sure what your point is.

As for there's no 3 G in your house well, the vast majority of iPhone user use wifi in their house. There maybe 3G in some of the places you travel to.

13. crazyitalian198 macrumors regular

I love when people bad mouth a company that they consistently purchase products from. I waited over 9 hours for my iPhone 3G due to the launch fiasco. When a product is in as much demand as the 3G, there is very little apple can do about wait times.

If you are prone to breaking your phones (dropped you 2G badly, twice) then you should check out squaretrade.com. They offer an apple care type plan WITH accidental damage protection. If you drop the phone off of a twenty story building they will give you cash in hand to replace it. They cover it for 3 years and their prices are the same as apple care!

14. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Perhaps you need a less expensive phone that is not likely to be so susceptible to extreme damage due to your poor handling?

The rest of it is moot. Makes no sense to get another phone, one you will complain about when you find out it was not really $199.00 and when you break the screen they still want $250 and no they will not sell you a new one for $199.

At the very least can you tell me this is all money from your part-time job and not you spending your parent's money so irresponsibly?

15. kis macrumors 65816

Well, if people still have to wait in line for the iPhone three weeks after its initial launch - and if a product still is in short supply all over the world - why the **** does Apple launch the model in an additional 20 countries on August 22???

Also - people only have to wait in line in the US - in all other countries, there are no lines because either the activation process works better or because you can simply activate at home (like here in Switzerland).

16. mark34 macrumors 6502a

It isn't a $10 premium for 3G data, rather iPhone owners are now paying the standard data rates. Therefore there is no such thing as "removing 3G from your bill". This has been a misconception due to the previous special data pricing for iPhones.