My 3G has a crack on the back - getting a replacement advice?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by G.O.B, Jun 16, 2010.

1. G.O.B macrumors member

Hi,

My iPhone 3G developed a crack in the plastic casing on the backside right at the bottom (by the connector at the bottom). I've heard that this is a design fault and happens to a lot of iPhones, and that (if it's within warranty!) going into an Apple store and complaining will get you a brand new one to walk out with.

The problem I have is that the good is no longer under warranty, but I've only had it for a little longer than a year and the fault developed well before that. I'm asking more for UK members here who know what recourse I have here - is it worth mentioning to the staff there that the Sales of Goods Act says that a mobile telephone should last much longer than the one year warranty, and as such they're obliged to replace it? Will they even have 3G's in stock as they no longer sell this model?

Many thanks!

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Call Apple. They acknowledge there was a design flaw that caused cracking at the dock connector. I had my 3GS replaced just shy of its 1yr warranty for this reason.

3. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

According to my Apple store, Apple silently extended the warranty by 6 months for these cracks in the plastic housing. If you are within 18 months of purchase, you should be OK.

I was post-18 months, so they charged me the $199 out-of-warranty replacement but the guy was nice enough to give me a $100 instant discount (the maximum he could do according to him) which was nice since I didn't ask for one. I purchased my iPhone with a credit card that extended the manufacturer's warranty, so I was just going to file a claim for reimbursement anyway.

4. Lakerfan210 macrumors regular

I also notice a crack on the back of my 3GS. I had it in a case since day 1. I was getting it cleaned up to put it up for sale since I'm getting the iPhone 4. Well I discovered that crack and not only that, the sensor in the connecting dock is light pink. I was like wtf!!!!!! The sensor on the headphone is white, how in the world did the other one turn pink. Now my question is if I go to the apple store and tell them about the crack will they still check the sensors. I still have 1 month left on the warranty.

5. rmwhite macrumors member

I picked up a replacement back (actually a whole housing replacement kit) for $.01 + ship on ebay. I got it in yesterday, and while it's not OEM, it looks identical to the OEM back, and it looks pretty well made.