My 3G iPhone battery tests!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bluelondon, Jul 23, 2008.

1. bluelondon macrumors regular

ok i've had my iphone for a total of 11 days now and have experienced quite terrible battery life. so i am about to do some tests to see where i stand with this phone. i will post the results daily including another test once upgraded to firmware 347. note: all tests are done after battery is fully depleted and then charged over night.

Test 1: (firmware 345)

settings:

wi-fi: on
    3G: off
    location services: off
    data roaming: off
    bluetooth: off
    brightness 70%
    push: off
    fetch: off

usage: 2 hours, 7 minutes so far (30 mins music, 20 minutes video, 5 minutes browsing, 5 minutes gaming, no calls)
    standby: 8 hours, 30 minutes so far

ps: i am currently abroad so i have no service, meaning no edge or 3G. just thought i should mention this incase the signal reception does use some of the battery life.

to continue..

2. pj rage macrumors 6502

I don't know about the iphone, but with every other phone I've ever had (and my friend's phones), if I brought them into work with me where there is no service, the batteries would die EXPONENTIALLY faster than if we left them outside in the car.

If I brought my fully charged phone in, after a 9 hour work day, it would be at about 25% charge or less, whereas it would still be at full charge if I left it in the car.

I think the phones end up constantly looking for signal when they have none, and if they can never find it, they burn up a TON of battery while trying.

I've put my iphone in airplane mode everyday I have it inside at work, because I figured if I didn't, it would also die. But it's at like 98% or something after all day of being in airplane mode and not using it.

3. steveapp macrumors member

That makes a lot of sense - my understanding is that most mobile phones are able to increase and decrease the power of the radio to recieve and send. Therefore if you are in a weak area they increase power usage to recieve a better signal, and if in a strong area they can ramp the power down a bit.
    Thats exactly why if im at home for a day I run the battery down faster, im in a low signal coverage area and i have a habit of leaving the phone on the end of the sofa which is in the exact centre of the building and the worst place to get a signal.

When the phone looses all contact it effectively panics, turns up to full power searching for a connection, hence the low battery life.