My 3GS' 3G speed is wonky.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by max pl, Jun 18, 2011.

1. max pl macrumors regular

Have had a 3GS for nearly two years now with decent 3G coverage from AT&T all throughout my area in NY.

A few days ago this changed. At work, where I use my phone the most for 3G access, I've started to only get Edge speeds. Went from having 3 or 4 bars of 3G for 18 months, to 4 bars of Edge.

So first thing I thought was that they were doing some work or perhaps the weather was bad, as it has been stormy here lately. But that's not the case, or so I'm told, as I contacted AT&T and there were no other compaints in the past few days, and the only tower work being done was 25 miles away.

So I performed a few hard resets holding down home+power. I also toggled the airplane mode function a few times and reset the network settings. None of that helped.
    After some googling I found a post suggesting all of the above along with a SIM card replacement, which was also suggested by AT&T.

And here I am now, using the new SIM card and still no change.
    I'm getting 4 bars of edge in an area that always had a decent 3G signal.

Any suggestions? Is the radio busted? Should I perform a software reset, even though I just upgraded to 4.3 about 3 weeks ago?

Thanks

2. darkside flow macrumors 6502

It's got to be a network issue. Never believe your carrier when they tell you they aren't having issues. If the radio was busted you wouldn't be getting any cell service.