My 3GS battery life is great

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SchneiderMan, Jul 28, 2009.

1. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

My new 3GS battery is doing very well dont you think?
    got it yesterday..

[​IMG]

2. wazza12345 macrumors regular

ahaha fail

"iphone has been plugged in since last full charge"

3. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

oh it was connected for 2 minutes so i could transfer a few songs that about it..

4. wazza12345 macrumors regular

It also helps if you tell us what sort of usage it was. All ipod? safari?
    what settings you have on/off. 3g/bluetooth/wifi/push email.. etc. there's also about 4000 threads on battery life already..

5. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

The guy at the ATT store activated it and transferred my contacts, I went home and charged it until full +2 hrs (per mbp reconditioning instructions) and I started using it at 8PM. Around 3 AM now and it is at 20%. I have not been using it all the time though. Just been browsing, installing applications, etc.

It seems like the battery drains pretty fast. I went from 98$ to 90% very quickly, and I wasn't using any apps at that time.

If it wasn't so awesome, I'd complain. But this device is just too amazing.

The MBP didn't put a smile on my face, but I am still grinning from the Iphone.

EDIT:

I checked my usage and I have:

Usage: 4 hrs 50 minutes
    Standby: 6 hrs 52 minutes

Call Time:

Current Period: 41 minutes
    Lifetime: 41 minutes

Sent: 291kb
    Received: 4.3 mb

This is a brand new iphone that was just opened around 5 PM. I charged until 8, and unplugged thereafter. These readings were taken @ 17% battery @ 3:07 AM

6. wazza12345 macrumors regular

general consensus is the battery life is pretty shiet on these phones, but if you just get over it and charge it regularly it won't affect you.. i'm slowly caring less :)

7. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

set to 50% brightness, 3g on, wifi off, bluetooth off, push off, i checked my gmail more then 15 times, a few songs and 10 music videos, a few calls, some safari browsing, no apps, some gps and maps and i have auto-lock set to 4 minutes.

8. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Autobrightness on or off?

9. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

10. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Having Location Services does nothing unless you're using something that is location-aware. Simply having Location Services on will not drain the battery any faster than normal.

11. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Give it a week or so and go through a couple of charging cycles. Your battery performance will gradually improve.

12. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I'm not sure that's true. At least I used to have it on, and somewhere I read said to turn it off and only use when needed for battery life. I could be wrong though.

13. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Back in the early 2.0 versions, having Location Services on would drain the battery, but they fixed that in 2.1 or something. People have been paranoid about it ever since. There's still a lot of people out there that refuse to turn Location Services on because they blame their battery problems on it.

Trust me, it's okay to keep Location Services on. It only kicks in when you use Maps or Twitter or whatnot.

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Okay, thanks for the info. Since I can't be sure what I read, it was probably pertinent to an older version, as you say.

15. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=525518

It was a problem at one point, but I can't remember which 2.x update fixed it. I've had Location Services on ever since and the battery has been unaffected.

16. TLewis macrumors 65816

Brand new iPhones appear to need battery calibration. Just charge it to 100% and use it until it dies. Some people say that you need to wait a while before recharging after it dies, but there's no need -- you can just recharge back to 100% right away. Do this once a month or two, but don't do this often (it's not good for the battery, but the battery meter needs this periodically to give you correct battery readings).

Yes, the battery life is bad, but it's typically not as bad as what you get in the first week or so. :eek:

Edit: one more thing: signal strength can significantly affect your battery life. Low bars == less battery life, high bars == longer battery life.

17. samcraig macrumors P6

Did this the day after launch day for the 3GS and it worked (have had great battery life based on usage). I noticed the last few days that where I would only be using 2-3 percent in the morning on my commute that it was not eating about 5-6 percent. Nothing earth shattering and still getting great battery life. But since it's been over a month now I went ahead and re-calibrated (ran down to the point the iPhone shut itself off and charged overnight) and today I was back to the 2-3 percent usage for my commute.

Not anal or anything and I wouldn't even notice the slight degradation if I didn't have my percentage on next the the battery indicator. But re-calibrating now and then obviously DOES work...

18. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Yeah, because every iPhone is exactly the same right? :rolleyes:

19. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Now you're just going to rile him up. :)

20. samcraig macrumors P6

Apples and oranges to what we were discussing. Have a nice day.

21. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

I get about 4-6 hours of usage and about 2 days of standby. That is 3G calling, wifi browsing, some gaming and 3G browsing.

I will say, after setting up the 3GS as a NEW phone and not doing a restore/backup from my 3G, things are much better.

22. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68020

TroyBoy30

isn't it possible for a location app to not completely shut down and continue using the location services? I keep mine off and turn it on the few time I need it.

23. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Third party apps don't run in the background. Apple's own Maps app only runs in the background for a few seconds. I don't think I've ever seen a third party app continue to run in the background after I've closed it (unless I'm jailbroken with Backgrounder of course).

24. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Explain to me how this is possible. When you restore you are only restoring data, not the OS. I don't see how setting up as iPhone as "new" could possibly make a difference in battery life.

25. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

ON

ON