My 3gs decided to kill itself

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by slinky0390, Jun 30, 2009.

1. slinky0390 macrumors regular

Today I picked my phone up out of my dock (I use the dock for charging only, it isnt connected to a computer) and it is displaying the connect to iTunes screen. When I do so, it says the phone is in recovery mode and must be restored, however when I go to restore it, iTunes gives me an unknown error (28). After about an hour on the phone with tech support, they couldnt help me remedy the situation and suggested I make an appointment at an apple store. I'm really hoping that tomorrow they'll just give me a new phone. Has anyone had a similar problem because ive searched google high and dry and cannot find anything like my problem.

2. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Do you plug your iPhone into your computer via USB hub, or the USB cable alone? I had trouble restoring my phone until I plugged it into it's own USB slot.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

For the first time ever I did too.

Open iTunes (keep iPhone disconnected)
    Hold down Home button on iPhone and connect to USB cable (straight to computer ... don't use a hub).
    That'll force the restore in iTunes and let you restore.

4. slinky0390 thread starter macrumors regular

Its plugged directly into my mac, I've tried everything, it gets to where it shows the apple and the status bar on the phone and then it resets and starts the whole monotony over again