My 3GS won't turn on.............

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Callyboy79, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Callyboy79 macrumors newbie

I'm looking for some advice. I'm new to the iPhone but got the 3GS when it came out. I've looked after it (case and screen protector) since i got it but this morning when I got up it seems to have switched itself off and won't turn back on. I've tried plugging it in with the AC adapter and also to my laptop to see if it would sync but neitehr has worked.

Doeds anyone have any ideas other than take it and aplle store and get a genius appointment?

2. synagence macrumors 6502a

Other than attempting to try and force it into DFU mode and doing a restore (assuming you get the option)

If its not even accepting a reset then it might just be a dead duck and genius is your only option

My iPod touch did do a similar thing a few months ago ... seemed to be dead and i'd almost given it up as such but then i tried once more to DFU it and it responded

3. ramases macrumors member

Maybe a silly question, but is the battery flat? I had a similar problem with mine and I left it plugged in to my macbook for about an hour. The iPhone then suddenly sprang into life with a low battery warning. I don't believe that the phone will turn on - even if plugged in - when the juice in the battery is very very low.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm with ramases, its either a dead unit, or the battery is dead. Try plugging the phone into the computer for an hour or two and see if that resolves the problem.

Additionally I had a similar problem. My 3G looked off, appeared to be dead but once I plugged it into the computer it came back to life. I think it crashed or one of the apps crashed and hung the phone. Either way try plugging it into the computer.

5. eliteneo macrumors member

if your tech savy you can remove the back and see if the battery is still connected, and you could see if you could reconnect it. it's very hard to do tho and took me a while to change my battery when this happened

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

That's the last thing he should do! Gosh, you tell him to do that and he may void his warranty after he breaks it. The OP should do the DFU restore, if he can, and if not, then he should take make a Genius appt.

7. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

This post should be deleted. Jesus.

8. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Did you try holding the home button and the sleep button for 15 seconds?

9. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

This happened to me once. The phone just turned off and wouldn't bother coming back on.

I found that holding the power and home button for quite some time just turned it back on. Hasn't happened since.

10. Old Wembley macrumors member

You obviously...are not tech savy

11. 420-THC macrumors member

Similar thing happened to my nano, I really thought it was a goner but i plugged it in for 2 hours and it fired right up with 10% battery:apple: