My 3gs won't work at all after opening it

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by zero216, Dec 24, 2011.

1. zero216 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I'm new here and generally new to Mac (just got my first Macbook yesterday). Anyways, I've had my iPhone for about 2 1/2 years and the battery was giving me problems, so I decided to replace it.

I opened my phone and followed the directions and replaced the battery, no problem. I realized a couple days later that the camera wasn't working. I assumed that maybe a cable was loose or something, so I opened it again. The problem is, this time I opened it a little too aggressively and ribbons 1-2-3 detached immediately. Now, cable 1 will not snap back in.

If it's just the screen, I'll replace it. Unfortunately I don't know if it's the screen or the circuit board. When I plug the phone into my computer, nothing happens. I've tried holding down the home/power buttons, just the power button, etc...but it's not turning on at all and not recognized by the computer. I thought that the ribbons would just affect the screen or it some functions, but the whole phone seems to be dead.

Any ideas? Or am I screwed?

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Since you have 3Gs, there are 7 connections to the mother board vs 6 for 3G. Did you check to to make sure all connection are tight.

If you can't get any response from your phone. Then there might be problem with the charging port and in addition the battery on your phone is totally drain. So, you can't get any response from your phone.

If you have another 3GS laying around, try to switch the logic board to see if it works. Otherwise, try to replace the charging port.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Happens to lots of people that attempt to take apart electronics when they shouldnt in the first place.

4. zero216 thread starter macrumors newbie

The only connection that is not tight is connection 1, but from what I understand, the phone should still work without this connection (but the screen shouldn't).

The battery was fully charged when this happened as well. I guess I'll just take it in to a repair shop to see if they could save it...

5. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Correct, connection #1 is for the LCD. So, if it is not connected, you still can turn it on (but you will not see anything on screen) and when connect to Itunes, Itunes should detect your phone with all of its info.