Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kurso

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
I'm really irritated with Apple and the Lightning cable. Not because they are expensive or because they are proprietary but in the last 12 months 4 of them ($80 worth of cables) have died.

I have had countless cables across a huge array of technology products over the years but I have never had a cable outright die. This is obviously because of the active circuitry Apple has put in the cables to discourage cheap clones.

I realize Apple wants the cable revenue, and I'm happy to give it to them, but 4 dead cables is RIDICULOUS!

End of rant.

ihonda

Suspended
Sep 17, 2009
....odd ive yet to have 1 cable fail. maybe you should use it properly? or invest in a heavy duty one that griffin makes, even tech armor makes a nice thick one.

jbromer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MD, USA
I'm really irritated with Apple and the Lightning cable. Not because they are expensive or because they are proprietary but in the last 12 months 4 of them ($80 worth of cables) have died.

I have had countless cables across a huge array of technology products over the years but I have never had a cable outright die. This is obviously because of the active circuitry Apple has put in the cables to discourage cheap clones.

I realize Apple wants the cable revenue, and I'm happy to give it to them, but 4 dead cables is RIDICULOUS!

End of rant.

Maybe it is your device that is defective? 4 cables seems too much to just be coincidental...

Kurso

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
Maybe it is your device that is defective? 4 cables seems too much to just be coincidental...

This is across three different devices. Two iPod Touch and one iPhone 5s.

It would be easy to blame the devices, wall chargers, using them improperly (WTF?), etc... but it all comes down to the fact that there is circuitry in the cable. I'm not the only one that is complaining. There are 564 1-star ratings out of just 845 total reviews on Apple.com, mostly complaining about dead cables.

It is just a bad idea to put circuitry in cables unless it is 100% needed to provide connectivity. In the case of the Lightning cable it is not.

ihonda

Suspended
Sep 17, 2009
This is across three different devices. Two iPod Touch and one iPhone 5s.

It would be easy to blame the devices, wall chargers, using them improperly (WTF?), etc... but it all comes down to the fact that there is circuitry in the cable. I'm not the only one that is complaining. There are 564 1-star ratings out of just 845 total reviews on Apple.com, mostly complaining about dead cables.

It is just a bad idea to put circuitry in cables unless it is 100% needed to provide connectivity. In the case of the Lightning cable it is not.

Kurso, I am going to post my review of TechArmor's 6ft Lightning cable here in a little bit. Take a read once its posted, maybe this one will work for you.

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
UK
Never had a problem with mine, still using the same one since iPhone 5 launch day, yet all these people with tatty looking cables moan they break often.

markyr17

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2010
Apple will replace them free of charge. I always do the express exchange where they put a hold on my credit card that way I always have a cable to use.

DanTSX

Suspended
Oct 22, 2013
....odd ive yet to have 1 cable fail. maybe you should use it properly? or invest in a heavy duty one that griffin makes, even tech armor makes a nice thick one.

I've gone through 8 of the 30 pin cables. So far so good on my lightening cable, but I'm not expecting anything new.

Reports of cable failure and fraying are very common. Always in the same place, near the connector. I had two fail at the office where the cable stays relatively stationary. I don't use the phone while it charges. It starts as a few pinprick holes, then longer cuts develop, and before you know it, the outer insulator is falling off like snowflakes. The insulator materials are substandard, bottom line.

Sweeperdk

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2009
Århus, Denmark
I can't say that I can relate.

Been using lightning cables since they came out, and have yet to have any issues.

I use one at home, and one at work, with the one at home seeing absolutely most use.

No issues as of yet.

Kurso

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
Kurso, I am going to post my review of TechArmor's 6ft Lightning cable here in a little bit. Take a read once its posted, maybe this one will work for you.

Thanks! I'd love to find a brand that is reliable. I don't mind paying $20 for a cable but I do mind paying $20 for an unreliable one.

DanTSX

Suspended
Oct 22, 2013
Thanks! I'd love to find a brand that is reliable. I don't mind paying $20 for a cable but I do mind paying $20 for an unreliable one.

Just had a Moshi brand lightening cable arrive today from amazon. Good reviews and looks very high quality. $25 shipped from amazon. $20 from moshi's website.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
My 4th Lightning cable has just died

End of rant.

You know they have a warranty on each of them.
I recommend getting this one! You will never need to buy another on again.
Tech Armor Apple Certified Lighting Cable - 6 Feet- White - Lightning Cable - Sync and Charge iPhone 5, iPhone 5S, iPhone 5C, iPad 4, iPad Mini, iPod Touch 5th Gen
http://amzn.com/B00DZ0J74W
Lifetime warranty!

Last edited:

hansonjohn590

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2013
Never had a problem with mine, still using the same one since iPhone 5 launch day, yet all these people with tatty looking cables moan they break often.

Of course, it's never Apples fault.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now

End of rant.

Well as the typical user does not have these problems (x4) may I suggest the issue is YOU and NOT the cable?

Of course, it's never Apples fault.
No, but when someone says they have been through 4 cables when the typical user is still on their first, that suggests it's NOT the cable but the USER. Seems like you just want to bash apple for the sake of bashing.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
My 4th Lightning cable has just died

That cable us really thick. Thicker than any other one I have seen. I have it. I got it as a sample from tech armor to review. It is actually the only review on the cable right now. I liked it so much that I am going to buy one. Just waiting for it to be fulfilled by amazon. Lifetime replacement warranty back it:)
Tech Armor Apple Certified Lighting Cable - 2 Feet- White - Lightning Cable - Sync and Charge iPhone 5, iPhone 5S, iPhone 5C, iPad 4, iPad Mini, iPod Touch 5th Gen
http://amzn.com/B00DZ0JEPE

scapegoat81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2012
Philly

End of rant.

I guess these lightning cables are harder to make than the 30 pin ? Idk but I ordered an official AT&T refurb lightning car charger from All4Cellular for $5, & I know it's a refurb & all, but I'm currently waiting on my 3rd replacement. The first one kinda worked, & the 2nd didn't work at all. I'm just gonna keep sending them back until I get a good one which I hope is soon. Lol

Kurso

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
Well as the typical user does not have these problems (x4) may I suggest the issue is YOU and NOT the cable?

No, but when someone says they have been through 4 cables when the typical user is still on their first, that suggests it's NOT the cable but the USER. Seems like you just want to bash apple for the sake of bashing.

Unfortunately that is NOT true. Over 66% of reviews on Apple.com are 1-star , with most users complaining about dead cables. It sounds like the typical user IS having this problem.

I have three Mac laptops, three iPhones 5s, 5th gen iPod Touch, iPad, Apple TV, and a Mac Mini in my house, and I just ordered a 27in iMac and I'm waiting to order an iPad Air. I'm not trying to bash Apple to bash Apple. This cable is CRAP and the reviews reflect it.

Stop with the 'Apple can do no wrong' mindless sheep mentality. It's old.

iSIILENT

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2008
I still have my apple cable in box and ordered this cable from mono price , has been great so far , all their products are good quality.

http://www.monoprice.com/mobile/Product/Details/10027?mainCategoryId=112&categoryId=11213&subCategoryId=1083101

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Unfortunately that is NOT true. Over 66% of reviews on Apple.com are 1-star , with most users complaining about dead cables. It sounds like the typical user IS having this problem.
Or maybe it's people that don't have issues tend to not bother posting reviews about cables that came with their device.

I have 3 USB/Lightning cables and have had no issues with them and 2 are just about a year old. And one of those winds up getting stuck in odd places and sometimes the lightning end gets sat upon. I have no issues with any of the cables.

Ok, everyone who has no issues with the cables go post a review about how easy it is to use and such.

Kurso

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
Or maybe it's people that don't have issues tend to not bother posting reviews about cables that came with their device.

I have 3 USB/Lightning cables and have had no issues with them and 2 are just about a year old. And one of those winds up getting stuck in odd places and sometimes the lightning end gets sat upon. I have no issues with any of the cables.

Ok, everyone who has no issues with the cables go post a review about how easy it is to use and such.

Wow, really?!?! Ok, I'll play that game...

Check out this cable. Over 4800 people gave this cable a 5-star review, presumably because it was "easy to use and such". That's over 82% of the reviews.

Great products get great reviews, even simple cables. Bad products get bad reviews. Thats why 66% of people gave the Lightning cable 1-star.

If you are going to troll try harder.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Wow, really?!?! Ok, I'll play that game...

Check out this cable. Over 4800 people gave this cable a 5-star review, presumably because it was "easy to use and such". That's over 82% of the reviews.

Great products get great reviews, even simple cables. Bad products get bad reviews. Thats why 66% of people gave the Lightning cable 1-star.
Please not that the cable you've linked to is not a cable that just happened to come with a device. Note I did say "cables that came with their device". Therefore in my opinion, comparing reviews of the Apple cable with a third party cable is not necessarily a good comparison.

Kurso

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
Yes, because nobody buys extra cables...

People are buying additional Apple lightning cables either because they want more cables, they lost their original, or because they died.

If people were buying additional cables and it was a great product IT WOULD HAVE GREAT REVIEWS!

The fact of the matter is it isn't a great product which is why it has terrible reviews.

ihonda

Suspended
Sep 17, 2009
You know they have a warranty on each of them. I recommend getting this one!
Tech Armor Apple Certified Lighting Cable - 6 Feet- White - Lightning Cable - Sync and Charge iPhone 5, iPhone 5S, iPhone 5C, iPad 4, iPad Mini, iPod Touch 5th Gen
http://amzn.com/B00DZ0J74W
Lifetime warranty!

yep recommend as well. sorry got side tracked last night and didnt write the review yet. but im telling you buy it and you wont regret it... well that is unless you have a case with a very small charge port opening.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.