Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
Well I received my MacBook last week Thursday and I absolutely love it. Here is a run down of the main features:

The screen: I wasn't sure about how the glosy screen was going to be but after using it for a while Ill just say I can't tell a huge difference from my iBook. Yes its more reflective and brighter but Im not a display freak so It suits me good.

FrontRow: Pretty awesome, I don't use it to much, except before going to bed but if they used it for a DVR it would be pretty cool.

Design: I love the new design much better than my iBook. It is noticeably thiner (IMO). The magnetic latch is wonderful, I can open it with one hand unlike how some people have posted. The keyboard is great, I feel I can type faster on this one. Most people said it took a while to get use to but since the day i tried it in the Apple Store it has been a natural feeling, the keys respond in the perfect way for me. Im not so sure how I like MagSafe. It is great for when I need to pick up and go someplace because it detaches nicely but in many more cases, like when moving from my desk to my bed, it will snap off which can become pretty annoying. Overall the design is great!

Performance: The thing's bitchin'! It opens the majority of my apps in 1 bounce (iTunes, Dictionary, Address Book, Safari and many others). It plays 1080p flawlessly. For the most part it doesn't drop a frame and is at about 50-60% CPU usage. (And about 1/4 of the time it even plays it while the cores are operating at 1500Mhz). Pretty impressive. Although when you are in a rosetta app. its really a RAM hog.

Overall I am EXTREMELY impressed, I highly recommend if your thinking about getting one GO FOR IT!

Ill add some pictures tomorrow of it and maybe a little more to it

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
runninmac said:
Well I received my MacBook last week Thursday and I absolutely love it. Here is a run down of the main features:

The screen: I wasn't sure about how the glosy screen was going to be but after using it for a while Ill just say I can't tell a huge difference from my iBook. Yes its more reflective and brighter but Im not a display freak so It suits me good.

FrontRow: Pretty awesome, I don't use it to much, except before going to bed but if they used it for a DVR it would be pretty cool.

Design: I love the new design much better than my iBook. It is noticeably thiner (IMO). The magnetic latch is wonderful, I can open it with one hand unlike how some people have posted. The keyboard is great, I feel I can type faster on this one. Most people said it took a while to get use to but since the day i tried it in the Apple Store it has been a natural feeling, the keys respond in the perfect way for me. Im not so sure how I like MagSafe. It is great for when I need to pick up and go someplace because it detaches nicely but in many more cases, like when moving from my desk to my bed, it will snap off which can become pretty annoying. Overall the design is great!

Performance: The thing's bitchin'! It opens the majority of my apps in 1 bounce (iTunes, Dictionary, Address Book, Safari and many others). It plays 1080p flawlessly. For the most part it doesn't drop a frame and is at about 50-60% CPU usage. (And about 1/4 of the time it even plays it while the cores are operating at 1500Mhz). Pretty impressive. Although when you are in a rosetta app. its really a RAM hog.

Overall I am EXTREMELY impressed, I highly recommend if your thinking about getting one GO FOR IT!

Ill add some pictures tomorrow of it and maybe a little more to it

Congrats on your new toy. :)

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
I forgot to add one question to this:

On the CoreDuoTemp app, even when I have the energy setting on "Better Performance," sometimes it will read my MacBook as 1500Mhz and I can feel the difference from the 2000Mhz so how do I keep it up to 2000Mhz when plugged in?

Zman5225

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2005
Tacoma WA
Thanks for the mini review. The more and more I see of these, the more I can't wait to get my hands on one.

Have fun playing with it!

Z

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
runninmac said:
I forgot to add one question to this:

On the CoreDuoTemp app, even when I have the energy setting on "Better Performance," sometimes it will read my MacBook as 1500Mhz and I can feel the difference from the 2000Mhz so how do I keep it up to 2000Mhz when plugged in?
I don't know of a way to override the processor throttling. It should jump up to 2000 anytime the processor is really being used.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.