My 50D was stolen

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Razeus, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Razeus macrumors 601

Well guys, my apartment was broken into (ain't if funny how you can live somewhere for years, get some furniture delivered and that very same day your place is broken into?).

Gone is my 50D, 430EXII, 50 f/1.8, 42" HDTV, PS3, a bunch of games. Police report and insurance company is on the case. Apparently I'll get the price less depreciation. I submitted everything on Monday, so hopefully, I'll hear something by Friday.

Don't know if I'll even stick with Canon at this point, especially if I'm going to have to buy a new camera. 50D is just outdated by today's standards. The 7D is too expensive. The 60D is lacking IMO (especially with the materials used for the body and smaller size).

I'll get flack for this, put the best camera for the $1100 range is the Nikon D7000 and it looks like I'll be going to the dark side. I just don't know anymore. I still have my 70-200 f/4, but I might was sell it and start all over with Nikon D7000 and a 35mm f/2

It is what it is. I'm bummed, because my 50D is how I spent my spare time.

2. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Cr#p. If this happened to me I would be totally at a loss, and I don't mean just materially. Something similar happened during my honeymoon. A cabbie picked us up at our apartment and we had been broken into when we got back.

Don't sweat about changing gear. If I had this to do over, I would be shooting Pentax. Sell the 70-200. In good shape it's still worth $1000USD.

Dale

3. 7even macrumors 6502a

Sorry about your stuff. If you're thinking about going to the dark side, get the 35mm f/1.8 rather than the older f/2, unless you're planning to switch to a full-frame Nikon in the future. The f/1.8 is considered to be better by most, especially for 30% less. (It's also my favorite lens right now :p)

4. Razeus thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks for the suggestion.

5. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Bummer. Any homeowner's or renter's insurance that'll cover your losses? If not, maybe if you bought with credit card.some have a coverage policy. Had my home broken into years ago. B*****ds, stole my great grandfather's pocket watch. Boy did I feel VIOLATED. My sympathies. :(:mad:

6. Razeus thread starter macrumors 601

Insurance should be taking care of me, but I haven't heard anything yet.

7. SidBala macrumors 6502a

Your gear is probably being sold on craigslist for very low prices. Lookout for the ads.

8. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

Really sorry to hear about that. :( Give yourself plenty of breathing space to research the market.

A bit of advice from someone who's been through it: not to worry unduly, but increase your security. I don't think it's a common thing, but we rented a house while we were building our own. It was close to a rather dodgy area, and the security wasn't too good. We were broken into and quite a bit of stuff was taken. Most things were still in boxes ready to go to our new house and they didn't bother with those. I suppose boxes labelled kitchen crockery etc don't interest the average thief. About 3 months later we were broken into again, police think it was by the same people who probably expected we'd have a load of new stuff as replacements. Thankfully, we were spending nearly all the time at the new build and just using that place to eat and sleep so we hadn't bothered.

9. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Dang that really stinks. I hope you find some new gear when insurance pays up that makes you happy about shooting again.. and I hope the stupid crook breaks his neck slipping on a banana peel.:mad:

10. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

It really sucks, my car was stolen in a school parking in under 2 hours and the car was near the building I was in. I've never felt so violated before in my life and I can only imagine what it must feel like to have a home broken into.

Give a Pentax a chance. You can get a ton of old lenses for very little. My dad has a k-7 and a k-x and I have a k20d. We're both amateurs but these cameras take great pictures even with the kit lens.

11. Eaton Photos macrumors regular

Did you have a Personal Articles Policy or Renter's Insurance?

If you have an Agent, that looks out for your Best Interest', then insurance usually works in the respect, that your going to get what it cost' to replace your gear, not what its now worth, say 3 years later. If you get stuck with the Depreciation aspect, then your gonna get screwed :( :( :(. I would check with your Insurance Company/ Ins. Agent, and verify such before any checks are cut.

Good Luck with the situation.

Now regarding gear, you don't necessarily need to buy New Equipment. If you follow the independent photography forums/ B&S Boards, EX. Fred Miranda, then you will see some very good used prices, for the 7D ($1150-$1350). Or you could go the Refurbished route, via either Canon or Adorama, and buy the 7D for $1359.

12. Razeus thread starter macrumors 601

Check is on the way, I just found out.

The cost of my equipment less depreciation that is recoverable. I'll have to submit my receipts to get the depreciation value back.