My 5s got some very small marks

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gdourado, Nov 26, 2013.

1. gdourado macrumors 6502

gdourado

Hi.
    I have a white 5s since October.
    When I got the 5s I also got an apple leather case and a screen protector.
    It was all fitted on the iPhone the day i got it, as soon as it came out of the box.

Today I noticed under light that I have 3 very very small marks on the side silver line.
    They are 3 very small spots that I notice when I wave the phone under light...
    I baby my iPhone... So, how did those marks happened? They weren't there when I got the phone as I inspected it for any kind of damage...
    Is that silver ring around the phone that sensible and prone to damage??

Cheers!

2. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

A case can cause these marks. If you get any dust or grit under the case and trapped between the case and your phone, it can damage the finish.

Always good to remove the case every week or so the clean it up. This is very important if you carry your phone in your pocket.

Try to relax and understand you phone will not look new forever and just enjoy it.:rolleyes:

3. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

This statement is true. Any dust particle can cause damage. I personally have to clean mine every other day because of where I work.

4. gdourado thread starter macrumors 6502

gdourado

But the spots are not on the side. They are on the top. They are on the silver ring, right next to the edge of the apple cover.

5. Scott M macrumors regular

Scott M

Have you taken the case off to inspect the marks?

Because I've noticed that my Apple Case has frayed slightly on the inner edge, and these frays trick you into thinking your iPhone has scratches on the silver ring when really, if you take the case off, the marks are gone, because they were actually frays from the case itself.

This happened to me, but I don't know if it's what you're seeing.

6. DayOfChaos macrumors 6502

Please tell me you honestly did not expect it to stay mark free while using it?

7. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

I've already got a few 'chips' on mines and I've only had it for 2 weeks :( It's the chamfered edge which you are talking about. It seems like it's very prone to chips, scuffs and other damage compared to the screen and the sides of the iPhone. I'd advise everyone to take extra care with this part of the phone, it's very easy to get marks on it with minor contact.

8. mikeydeezy macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

Take a microfiber and lightly (very lightly) wet it with rubbing alcohol. Give the "mark" a few passes over and see if it doesn't fade or come off completely.

Had this same issue...or so I thought. Three wipes later it was gone.

9. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

Apple case scratched up my space grey badly... Bummed about it.

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yet another case (pun intended) where cases do more harm than good.

11. jefferent macrumors newbie

I agree, if dirty, dust, etc, gets inside the case it will surely scratch your phone.

I have an otter box commuter on my 5s and i always clean the insides at least once a week.

12. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

Either you damaged it without knowing or the case did. Get over it.

13. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

No, something got between your case and phone and scratched it up.

14. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

Yes obviously.

But the way the case is, the long sides of it don't hug the phone and debris will just fall in there.

15. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Agreed. It's very frustrating to think you're doing the right thing and it turns out to cause an issue. Was it one of the leather ones? I just returned my leather case because it was stretching / deforming and the lower right corner of the phone would slide up so it was higher than the case. And the wife's leather case had a crumb or something in there.

I ended up getting a couple of Tech21 cases when I returned the leather one. It will hug the phone unless it stretches out over time.

16. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

I have to say that although i don't baby my phone, i do treat it with care. I have had my 5S since october and have a leather apple case on it.
    I removed the case for the first time today and checked the phone for marks and there are none. I couldn't see any dust inside the case either so I guess i must be lucky but the leather case is such a tight fit that very little would find its way in plus i spray the case once a week with leather protector and it is still in immaculate condition.
    My old iPhone 5 had a hard plastic case on it and when i removed it after 3 months, one side was pitted in several areas.

17. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

Agreed it is very frustrating. I love the feel and look of the case. Just wish it provided a little more protection or seal from the dust etc. I rarely drop my phone figured this would be perfect.

On my i5 I had a diztronic tpu which kept my black phone looking like new for a year. Just wanted something a little nicer this time.

Tempted to just get the sena pouch and a body skin. Wish I didn't drop nearly 100$ between the apple case and bodyguards pure.

18. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The resale price differential between a mint condition iPhone and a totally scratched up one is about $100. A few marks will be less, especially if it's unlocked. You'd come out ahead not wasting money on cases when it comes to selling.

19. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Apple case or regular case , no case will guarantee that your phone will be scratch free. Removing your case weekly. And cleaning the inside will help maintain your iphone

20. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

Well... I can't argue with this BUT i'll share my little secret

Ive gone from Galaxy nexus > GS3 > Iphone5 > GS4+$100 to a Iphone5s

By trading to people who don't like their phone and are right out of return period. So me keeping them 100% mint has gone a long way.

Also every trade done was on a whim. I would be bored and check out CL and low and behold that trade is there.