My $6.99 (shipped) Smart Cover Compatible iPad2 Case

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Aqua Bliss, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Aqua Bliss macrumors 6502

Like many of you, I'm waiting for the ultimate case but it either isn't shipping yet or I haven't found it quite yet. In the mean time I've got a CF skin for the back and BSE on the screen but still managed to get a couple small scratches on the exposed areas.

Patience was growing thin and I wanted a cheap interim solution, so I bought this silicon cover ($6.99 shipped with Amazon Prime):
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004R0D556

and easily cut with an exacto, the left side of the rubber so that the smart cover would attach without any interference. Works pretty well, only negative is that with the left side cut out, it makes it a bit loose in the back - but it protects my corners good enough for now until I can decide what "real" case I want.

The magnets on smart cover close work just fine with the silicon on the right side. There is a small layer in between but it still turns off the backlight and sticks every time without issue.

Here's some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. engles macrumors regular

3. Aqua Bliss thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks engles - I have noticed after a couple days of use that putting on this silicon case adds noticeable weight to the iPad... can't wait to get a lighter microshell type backing that is light and sturdy.

4. j-a-x macrumors 65816

j-a-x

Awesome.

I just bought one for $8.99 (same case except it's transparent/white ish) and I bought the more expensive one because the seller is only a few hours away from me and I figured it would probably get here sooner. I plan on doing the exact same thing you did with it. I figure it's cheap enough that if I ruin it it's not the biggest deal, and it'll only be a temporary solution until better cases are on the market.

Any advice on the cutting part? Is it pretty easy? Did you just use regular scissors or anything special? Does the smart cover close properly with the silicon case on it? The smart cover on it's own has a bit of a magnetic pull to keep it closed which is sort of nice.

5. Aqua Bliss thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey Jax, I folded the case inside out and used an exacto knife with cardboard underneath to make sure I didn't puncture the back. In the case I got there was a hole on the side for I guess where they thought SD card would go but no ports are really there in final prod but I used that as a guide where to cut. Sounds weird but you'll see what I mean when you get it.... Post some pics after you make the cuts!

6. Muscleflex macrumors 6502

pretty cool!
    when i had my first iPad, i had a cheap rubber type jacket for the back that was supposed to be a temporary solution for me but i liked it very much i ended up with it up till I sold it 2 weeks ago.
    Now i am looking for a jacket again for my iPad2

7. beertapper macrumors member

good idea..

question....

how loose is the cover after cutting? will it fall off easily, and are you noticing more dust / crud accumulating on the back ?

8. Aqua Bliss thread starter macrumors 6502

It's slightly loose only a small area in the back where I made the cut. The front is not loose and it's never been close to falling off...

About the back, I have 2 cats so I can see some cat hair easily on the silicone back but other than that nothing extra. I do like to take it out every week and wash the silicone and wipe the back of the iPad...

9. benjayman2 macrumors 6502

benjayman2

Nicely done. If I didn't despise silicon cases as a whole I would so do this.

10. beertapper macrumors member

nice...i'm gonna give this setup a try..

11. jaimeastin macrumors regular

Sweet! At least your are not paying $$ to make the smart cover work for you. I did not keep mine long enough to make it better.

I just recently purchased this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Leath...UHFY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301637792&sr=8-1

I am currently using a case made for the original which is almost perfect. The new one adds the smart cover feather, is real leather, and has camera cut-outs.

Bravo to you though!

12. cdm369 macrumors newbie

Exactly what I was planning to do!

I was beginning to think, because I could not find ONE, NOT ONE, supplier of iPad accessories that offers this solution that I was the only one who thought it was an ideal solution. Thanks for the post. I like the smart cover and want to keep it. I just don't like cases that simply look pretty yet have no corner protection whatsoever - as is the case with the TPU and other poly/gel type back covers. With tiles floors and kids, it only takes one time leaving my iPad on the coffee table and ending up in the wrong hands - and DROP. I want to be properly prepared for such a possibility. I would love to see something like a Griffen Survivor case that incorporate a Smart Cover somehow.