My 6+ Battery Life Not Up to Snuff

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by redman042, Nov 7, 2014.

1. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

I've had my new 64GB AT&T iPhone 6 Plus for a week now. I completely charge it every night, and have conditioned the battery (drained until shutoff then recharged) twice. My battery gets through the day no problem, but I am pretty low by evening. This is as good or perhaps a little better than my iPhone 5s, but I'm reading many stories from others saying they get a day and a half or two days out of the Plus. I'm not. This screenshot represents the most I can get out of my phone:

[​IMG]

Last night I turned off Background Refresh for all but the most essential apps. But it doesn't appear so far today that it's helped.

Looking for any ideas.

2. fiveainone macrumors 6502a

Try these settings for location services:
    [​IMG]

Also helps to be on wifi more, and try a hard reset(home+lock button hold). These have helped me to go from the same as yours to 8-9 hours.

3. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

Make sure you don't leave your wifi hotspot switched to "on".

Also, make sure you set Facebook to not refresh in the background. And some apps with location services will ping your location for some reason when your phone is asleep.

4. legioxi macrumors 6502a

It's ok to leave it on. The Wifi portion shuts down if no one is connected to it after 5minutes or so. Then you have to open the Settings->Hotspot screen to reactivate it (just open it, don't have to turn off and on). Mine is on all the time and I get 8-14 hours depending on usage.

Also hotspot shows up in the battery application list, and it isn't in his list, or isn't high enough to be in the screenshot.

I would look at the geo fencing (icon is on in OPs screenshot) and other location services.

5. snsking macrumors 6502

snsking

These are roughly the same usage times I been getting. Is this the normal time?

6. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

It's been my experience that GPS significantly drains the battery. I turned off everything there except Find My Phone and Share My Location. I also make sure all my apps are turned off except those that actually need it and only during use if possible.

7. redman042 thread starter macrumors 68030

redman042

Thanks. I'll turn off more location services and see what that does.

I understand Apple has a diagnostic tool they can have me run on my phone. Has anyone called Apple and tried this?

8. BensonTT macrumors regular

BensonTT

In then system service menu, I have everything turned off accept find my iPhone.. This should be ok right?

9. Bahroo macrumors 68000

First of all DO not keep letting your phone completly drain And then letting it charge up fully , your not suppose to really ever have the battery completly die to the battery charge icon screen, stop doing that or it could damage your battery

And 2, did you follow any battery life tips?

10. DigitalPharmcst macrumors member

DigitalPharmcst

I get about 12 hours using it heavily, if I don't use it as heavy it can last about two days. I never bring a charger with me anymore. Something must be off with your settings or something must be running in the background killing your battery.

For example, I've been using my phone all day (since 4 AM) and now I'm at 63%. I'll probably stream BBC Radio on the way home (45 mins) and I'll still be at about 50%. When I put it on the charger tonight I'll probably be at about 30%. If you can't get these numbers after you check your apps and settings, I'd return it.

11. fiveainone macrumors 6502a

Describe heavy. Heavy to me means LTE streaming movies, maps open, graphics intensive gaming, while updating apps, texting photos, and looking up yelp and going through instagram.

12. redman042 thread starter macrumors 68030

redman042

The best thing to do is post the usage hours from the settings app. Then we can talk apples to apples. Most of the "wow, look at my battery life" posts elsewhere on MacRumors show Usage at around 7-8 hours and standby at 15+ hours with about 20% left on the battery gauge. Which is much better than I'm getting.

13. fiveainone macrumors 6502a

Here's one similar to your usage. But this was not my normal usage. I was at home the whole time, on wifi, and just browsed macrumor with it.

[​IMG]

14. mib1800 macrumors 68020

The best thing is apple give us screen on time instead of the totally useless usage time.

The screen is the overriding factor in battery consumption. Other factors don't really matter (other than cpu intensive gaming). On normal use when the screen is on battery drain is 12 to 18 percent per hour on auto brightness.

15. fiveainone macrumors 6502a

That's why for myself I like to time it. I close all apps, leave the screen on with no autolock, and use the timer to see how long each % takes to go down by 1. Right now mine is at 9m45s per %, at 1/6 brightness. On the 5s it was 5m45s after iOS 8.

16. mib1800 macrumors 68020

You have to time it for much longer like from 100% down to 1% to be accurate. So without a screen on time counter in iOS makes any comparison of battery life very inaccurate and difficult.

17. Salvor Hardin macrumors regular

Try restoring from backup, I was getting usage hours a bit worse than yours from having set mine up with my 4S' backup and wasn't seeing much improvement by turning off motion calibration and resetting settings but after restoring from it's own backup I managed 10 hours of heavy usage.

18. abe7333 macrumors member

[​IMG]

I am actually impressed by it. It was my first day with it and was amazed it lasted all day with that much abuse.

19. Mojopin macrumors regular

Mojopin

I consistently get 10-12 hours of usage per charge definitely the best I've ever gotten on a smartphone & I had used a Note 4 as well it can't compete with the 6+ in the battery dept. something is def draining your battery or its defective.

20. DigitalPharmcst macrumors member

DigitalPharmcst

Heavy is streaming Netflix, playing games, auto updated apps, location services running for apps in the background, streaming music and BBC radio and responding to a crapload of work emails. All of this on AT&T LTE. I keep a USB cable with me but I never have to use it. As I'm writing this, I've used my phone for an hour and 33 mins and I'm at 92%. That's after playing Star Wars KOTOR for about 20 mins, streaming radio and facebook at half brightness.

Im attaching a photo of one of my "meh" days where I'm not doing a whole lot. I need to take a screenshot of one of my heavy usage days.

Attached Files:

21. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

But doesn't that mean other WiFi seeking devices can see your phone? So it'd have to be on on some level.

----

OP, maybe it's system services that using location data? You have to enable the location symbol to show for those processes.

22. DiggityBiggity macrumors 6502

DiggityBiggity

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415560888.369138.jpg

I'm beyond satisfied with the battery of this phone.

23. msavic macrumors 6502

Did you listen to music during this period?

24. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Chat services and their notifications will skyrocket usage times while draining battery slowly. These results are not atypical. His number one batter drainer was tapatalk. Number two was the lock screen.

25. redman042 thread starter macrumors 68030

redman042

I did a full backup and restore via iTunes Friday night and so far battery life seems much better. Seems like doing this via iTunes provides a more thorough system wipe than doing it over iCloud, and it also replaces a patched OS with a clean install of 8.1.

I'll know for sure on Monday after experiencing a normal work day with my phone. This may have ended up just being a software glitch.