My 6 Year Old Goldfish is Dying :(

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacBoy108, Nov 30, 2007.

1. MacBoy108 macrumors 6502

MacBoy108

My 6 year old goldfish "Jack" Is fading, he's been swimming sideways today. Its so pain full to watch him. In goldfish years he's around 60 and he's lived a good life. I always get so sad when any of my pets are in there final hours or days its bad enough you know there gonna die but watching them go through it is the hardest part.
    :(

2. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

Macboy! My dad's business partner is from Yorba Linda!

Sorry to hear about goldie. I had a snail that once ate my fish.. it was terrible.

3. MacBoy108 thread starter macrumors 6502

MacBoy108

What's his business? thanks. Thats pretty bad.

4. iPodTouchRules macrumors newbie

iPodTouchRules

Sorry about your fish. 6 years is good for a gold fish!

5. MacBoy108 thread starter macrumors 6502

MacBoy108

Thanks, Yea he's surrvived many moves and outlived lots of other fish.

6. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

was the water filtered/oxygenated? maybe it's not too late. try change the water every hour or so (just make sure is at room temperature) for decontamination.
    goldfish frequenly die because they outgrow their tank and their waste basically poison them.
    goldfish in ponds can easily live 25-30 years. In indoor tanks i think 10 years is a reasonable expectations, if the tanks are large enough.

7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

8. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

6 YEARS?! That is amazing for a goldfish! I never heard of anyone who was able to keep a goldfish 6 years.

Give yourself a pat on the back, and let nature do the rest.

9. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Most of my koi that I'd had (minus the shiny silver and gold scaled ones), and the big ones that I'd had since I was 3 didn't make it through the winter this year unfortunately. They were about 13 years old and could have gone on for much longer, but luckily, they bred so there's a swarm of small colored fish. Too bad for your fish if you can't find a way to save it, I hate it when there is a loss of one, for a few days after, there's just something missing.

10. iCube macrumors 6502

He probably isn't in any pain. He had a good life. When he does pass, just give him a nice burial in your yard. It's an important way to pay respect and say goodbye. :)

11. carve macrumors 6502a

carve

oh man macboy, i'm really sorry. I lost my 4 year old goldfish last year, swimmy. That sad part was that I had another fish (goldmember) in the tank with swimmy that got really depressed. I got him another buddy smimmy-Z-zilla, goldmember is a lot happier now...i'm sorry for your loss. kind regards, macluver191

12. MacBoy108 thread starter macrumors 6502

MacBoy108

I'm pretty sure its just his time to go. He has been through a lot. Thanks or your support. I also Have a 6 year old sucker fish (pocastomis) do you think I should get a new goldfish to keep him company or let him live out his life with the tank to himself, e seems predatorial at times.

13. eric55lv Guest

eric55lv

i used to have 3 fishes ones died 2 days after and the other 2 1 month after i got them so i feel your pain

14. 119576 Guest

15. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

I had a 13 year old Goldfish, so I feel your pain. Freddy did the same thing before he went.

RIP Freddy (1991-2004).

16. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

mmm vodka

p.s. I know how you feel my brother had a goldfish that lived about that long too, and my cat (going on 14 or 15) is starting to become skinnier (from 20lbs!) and I can see his ribs...so I think it is almost his time too :( :(

17. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Sorry about your fish. My girlfriend and I had a goldfish for about 2 years, and it was sad when she died.

Later we got a larger tank and tried to keep other fish. They all died, with the exception of one fish, which we then moved to a bowl. He hung on for a year or so. :(

18. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Some variants of Koi (they remind me of Goldfish) can live to be REALLY old. I think on the average of 30 years - with some around 200. No BS.

I found that Plecos can be very long lived - I had a Pleco that was over 12 years old, he rocked (acted like a guy, hence "he") It would do things that "fish experts" said Plecos could not do and were "impossible". It was fun to show them in person they were wrong.

Anyhow, he got sick (thought I had treated fully - but had relapsed while I was on vaca) Didn't make it that round and died... I had NO idea how huge that thing was until I pulled it out of my 55 gallon tank for burial. It was nothing at first - "just a fish" but after, it was more like losing a Cat or Dog - sucked.

The following day, my neighbors saw me holding some huge black body and digging a hole in my back yard --- They haven't said a whole hell of a lot to me since... :confused:

19. todd2000 macrumors 68000

6 years is not ammazing if you know what your doing. Personally I think Goldfish bowls should just be banned. The minimum size tank I would consider putting a Goldfish in is a 10G, and thats only for very small ones. Goldfish can get very large. I would recommend at least a 20G tank, with a filter. Throwing them in a little bowl is just in-humane.

Out of curiosity, how big is your tank MacBoy108.

20. MacBoy108 thread starter macrumors 6502

MacBoy108

My tank is 20G.

21. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Good for you! Sorry to hear about your fish, do you test your water? Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates?

P.S. I like fish :) I have Saltwater right now, but know a lot about Freshwater too.