I'm getting one of the new Mac Pros in a couple weeks. I've looked at the merits of backtracking to 2008 models and decided not to go that route. The new Mac Pros are my future. End of debate. The question I am batting back and forth is whether to go for the 2.26 Octad or the 2.66 Octad. The basic question I need to answer in the next couple weeks is: Is a 17% increase in processor speed worth an extra 39% in cost? That's what it boils down to for me. I'm anxiously awaiting some benchmarks and testing by objective online sources (not that I don't appreciate the stats contributed here - they've been very helpful in narrowing down the field) in order to make a determination whether that 17% will really make a difference to me. Whichever version I buy, I will order it with the ATI Radeion 4870 and upgrade to 16GB RAM and add Two 1TB Drives from a secondary source (OWC, my favorite). For the record (I've mentioned this a few times, so at the risk of being too repetitive), I'm upgrading from a Dual 2.0 G5 (June 2004) PowerMac. My initial thoughts are that, considering where I'm coming from, the difference between a 2.26 and a 2.66 will not be all that noticeable. It will most likely be lights out faster than my current setup. Also, because the type of work I do is not likely to change all that much ( mostly graphic design with the CS4 Design package, an increasingly large amount of digital illustration using Painter X, with some 3D and web work thrown in), I'm wondering if the extra speed provided by the 2.66 will be wasted on me. Finally, I plan on keeping this computer as my main workhorse for at least 8 years(!). This seems like a long time (I'm used to a new computer every 5 years or so), but I'm increasingly convinced that most of the future advances in computer technology will largely benefit those involved in motion and video production, and that the static arts that I do have reached a level of proficiency that will likely remain stable (edit to add: aside from improvements in software) for some time to come. Given this scenario, I don't think an 8+ year lifetime is a radical proposition given the capabilities of the machine and my projected needs. Bottom line: I'm leaning towards the 2.26, but don't want to sell myself short when I consider how long I plan on using this beast. So, while we all wait for BareFeats, and others to provide testing data, anyone else have any thoughts?