My 9600M GT might have died....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by therapistfinder, Mar 6, 2009.

1. therapistfinder macrumors member

It doesn't show up in system profiler, and I can't switch between the 9400 and the 9600 in energy saver. I also can't load XP anymore, which only uses the 9600. All I see when I try to load Windows is a black screen (backlight is off) although the HD and everything else seems to be working.

Also, I'm not sure if this problem is related or not but my MBP also seems to be burning up, even with the 9400m. I'm running the fans at 6200 rpm and the CPU is at 55 and the GPU is at around 50. All I have open are firefox, ichat, and skype. They both used to be around 35-40 with fans at 2000 rpm.

I've tried virtually everything I can think of short of reinstalling XP (which I can't do since I didn't back up my files). I've reinstalled OS X twice already (second time without peripherals to make sure they weren't the source of the problem).

Does anyone know of any other explanations/fixes or did my 9600 actually hit the crapper?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. therapistfinder thread starter macrumors member

It's the base unibody MBP (MB470LL/A). I purchased it a week after they came out.

4. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Regarding the heat - it might be Skype. Skype is notoriously unoptimized. I was doing some videocalling on the go and just some plain audio calling as well, and Skype was (I checked in Activity monitor) using 120-150% CPU!! Not to mention it was running 28 threads.

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Sounds like a bad card/logic board. Call Apple Care or take it to the Apple Store to get repaired.

TEG

6. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

That would seem to be a logical conclusion given the evidence.

Oh boy...I wonder if they'll discover a manufacturing defect in that chip as well...those are exactly the same symptoms I experienced when my 8600GT died. Blank screen, everything else works, no warning signs. At least you have the 9400M there to keep you company.

7. therapistfinder thread starter macrumors member

Fantastic....if it is the graphics card, how long does it usually take for them to ship it out and fix it?

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

2 weeks max. But on average, repairs usually take 7-10 business days.