My Adapters Keep Burning Out - HELP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by motorpsycho, Jul 23, 2010.

1. motorpsycho macrumors newbie

I'm having some trouble with my power adapters. A while back in June, one of my power adapters burned out and I took it to the Apple Store. They ran some trouble shooting and simply replaced it, as it was a relatively new computer. Only a month has gone by and another adapter is starting to show the same symptoms. Maybe it's too soon to make a call, but I'm starting to wonder if it's my computer. My computer has been acting a little funny lately, as my trackpad has been freezing or getting stuck. Yesterday, my computer froze and shut down while I was in the middle of work ( It was BLAZING hot, mind you). I'm not sure if any of these things are mutually exclusive or related to my dilemma, but it's leaving me guessing. Should I take it into Apple? What do you guys think?

BTW, I'm not sure if I'm subconsciously bending my Adapter Cables, as I've heard that can lead to my adapter screwing up. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

3. motorpsycho thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, Thank you for responding! I tend to plug the adapter in my bedroom or my living room, (Sometimes if I want privacy, the basement).

4. EchoTheDolphin macrumors newbie

Happened to me in school alot due to inconsistent fluctuating voltages from wall outlets.

Most electrical systems won't be affected unless they are delicate electronics or convert power to DC or whatever.

Unfortunately, there's no way to really fix this completely in your house without completely rewiring. The solution is to get an AVR (auto voltage regulator) for whichever outlets you plug it in to.

Most battery backups provide AVR built-in, all you need is something that provides 90 or greater watts. Likely you'll find nothing under 200 watts or so. ONly issue is that you'll need one at every outlet.

EDIT: TL;DR: Get battery backups for where you want to use your computer, I'd also look at getting them for any other expensive electronics you own (TV's, PS3's etc)

Another way to see if you have this problem is if certain rooms blow lightbulbs very often.

5. motorpsycho thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow this is a pretty good response. I've never actually paid attention to be honest with you. I've asked my father if this happens often and he mentioned that light bulbs don't really blow out often in certain places, but the lighting tends to be brighter or dimmer in certain rooms, if that's any indication of anything. But I tend to plug my adapter into some Surge Protectors.

BTW, I'm still under warranty so I might take this adapter into The Apple Store to have it replaced. I plan on backing it up, because they might take my computer since this is the second Adapter to burn out. But I want to thank everyone who has replied and helped me out so far.

6. FnuGk macrumors regular

haha reminds me of how the lights in my kitchen dims a little bit when i turn on the microwave :p