My Adventures in A Windows World. (Long)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nocturnal dark, Aug 4, 2007.

1. nocturnal dark macrumors member

***I am not trying to start a Mac vs. Windows debate here, Just telling you my experience today, that some Mac people here may find funny.***

Yesterday, I was hunting for a Firewire for my Mac. I thought, just maybe some place around here may have.

First, I went to Wal*Mart, I had to go there anyway to pick up some food for the week, so I thought. I'll just swing by the good old electronics dept. Well, I found was rows of USB cables.

So, I though...well there is a Radio Shack on the way home. I'll stop there and see if they have anything. After all, they are an electronics store-right?
    So, I go ahead and enter Radio Shack. I am greeted by a employee with a smile saying, "Can I help you?'' ''Sure, do you have Firewire?''

The employee gives me a confused look. "Firewire??" "Yes, Firewire. It's like a USB cable but faster and more of an upgrade. Mainly found on Macs''

''What are you planning to do with this Firewire'' she asks....''Oh, I want to hook it up an older Mac and transfer files over to a new Mac''

''Oh-ok. What version of Windows do you have on your Mac?, cause this should work'' As she points to a USB transfer cable for users to transfer files from XP to Vista.

''I don't have Windows on my Mac''. ''WHAT??'' she proclaims...''No Windows on your Mac?, how is that possible?...We do have Windows Vista if you want to put that on your Mac so you can use it''

Trying to hold back my laughter and frustration all at the same time was very hard. Seeing, I only had about 4 hours of sleep.

"My Mac already has an operating system on it, I don't need Windows Vista.''

''Ok.....I am lost'' she proclaims. "That's ok. I can clearly see you don't have Firewire. Thank you for your help, goodbye.''

Fighting back laughter...I exit the store. Now I can see why Radio Shack doesn't make the Tandy computer anymore.

So, my last resort was a small computer store run by a local man. In walking in, all I could hear is this salesman pushing an Vista upgrade on this young, college girl, trying to buy a laptop for college this fall.

"Vista is soild, with no issues or threats of viruses like XP had'' he proudly states. I just roll my eyes and look around. While he's being a pushy salesman trying to sell snake oil. Another guy asks Me if I need help. ''Yes, I am looking for Firewire, do you have any in stock?'' ''Hmmmm...Firewire???....let me ask my boss'' Who just happens to be the pushy salesman seeing that snake oil to that college girl.

The salesman then stops after his faithful servant asks him about Firewire and says, ''I never heard of Firewire, are you looking for a Network cable for a router?'' Looks straight at him, and states...''No, Firewire is a powerful cable found mainly on Macs to hook up devices'' Gives me a nasty look...''Sorry, I don't deal with anything Apple or Mac. We are strictly Microsoft here.''

''Ok...btw. You can get a virus on Vista. It's not 100% safe like your proclaming, in fact it just came out so there's going to be some bugs in it, until it get's worked out''

Then, the college girl states, "Uh, I'll think I am going to wait on this purchase on this Laptop, goodbye.''

Then I get a nasty look from the two salemen, as if saying don't ever come in here again-you Apple hippie freak!!!

No, I never did find any Firewire either yesterday either.

Anyone know any place other than Apple of course where I could find a Firewire Cable?:)

2. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

I've seen FW400 cables at Best Buy, Circuit City, AND Walmart. They're not as prevalent as USB cables, but they aren't hard to find.

3. seattle macrumors 6502

The last time I got a firewire cable was at Target. It also had the 6 to 4 pin adapters included so that was cool. Frys also has them but I don not know if their are any in you area.

4. nocturnal dark thread starter macrumors member

I live in a small rural town that doesn't know anything about culture or Apple.

Heck, you have to drive 40+ minutes away just to buy a CD, Starbucks coffee or even to buy clothes. Unless, you settle for what Wal*Mart has, which isn't much here.

That's why, I mainy order online and have it mailed to me. It helps with the frustrating and the 40 minute drive, which sometimes ends up in not finding what you're looking for.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

At Best Buy you can often find them by the camcorders or in the video section if you don't find it in the computer section. Next time, just tell them you want to transfer video from a camcorder. :p

B

6. knelto macrumors regular

That was my first run in with Firewire. Back in high school my friend got a DV camcorder and said he had to get a card for his computer to transfer it through some weird non-USB port. I didn't know what it was back then, but looking back it was definitely Firewire.