iPad My Air is now broken in, no more crashes.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by double329, Nov 25, 2013.

1. double329, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2013

double329 macrumors 6502

I know, that sounds kind of stupid. When I first got the Air, it crashed pretty often, between apps and fewer tabs in Safari and that is only one app open at a given time. Since the last iOS update, I have never seen the crash. I have more than twenty apps open(say 23 apps), many tabs(10) in safari, and many tabs(10) in chrome, all these open and running in so call apple multitask. NO Crash! no crash... I am pretty happy with the Air :D

2. ZacUSNYR macrumors regular

my wife was struggling with our Air crashing due to the Pinterest app.

3. nostresshere macrumors 68030

And there is the problem. We need an app that blocks Pinterest.

4. ZacUSNYR macrumors regular

I believe they have it, it's called iOS 7 - it dies whenever you use pinterest lol

5. stonyboys macrumors 6502

I thought I had a defective air when I first got it, everything was crashing randomly. But just like you it seems to have "broken in". Every computer I've ever owned (all PCs) I also experienced some break in. I don't understand why myself.

6. Breitling65 macrumors 6502

I installed mercury browser and using instead of Safari, works great. Cost me 99c to cure headache with Safari tabs crashes. nomore.

7. bbchick macrumors newbie

How long did it take for your iPads to be finally "broken in" and experience no crashes??? Just wondering how much longer should I wait.

Thanks.

8. brentsg macrumors 68040

I was having a ton of Safari crashes, like 2-3 per hour of use.

Apple had me reset network connections and reset the unit (but not wipe). That was Friday and I've only had 1 crash since.

Settings / General / Reset All Settings

I was skeptical and don't understand why it seems to have helped.

9. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

Lol at "broken in" u guys can't be serious right

10. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Yeah, that sounds pretty iffy to me. Perhaps the resets helped or something else but tablets don't really have a break in period. I mean, that even sounds kind of ridiculous. :confused:

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There is no "breaking in " iPads, it's either crashing because of a software bug and you haven't tripped over that bug again, or a hardware failure which you haven't triggered lately.

FWIW, my rMini has not crashed once, and my iPhone 5 has crashed a single time under iOS7 so my opinion is that the OS is rock solid.

12. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

My guess is that people fell into their normal usage patterns which did not stress the units as much. We probably all tend to try everything and run everything with a new ipad.

R

13. double329 thread starter macrumors 6502

No, I don't believe there is a real broken-in. It just feels like it.

I am sure it is a combination of few fixed in iOS 7.0.4, site's contents, and app update. I used my Air the same way I did when I first got it. I was experience crashes initially, not hourly basis. Crashes were pretty consistent before the 7.0.4 update. I am happy to say that, I have not seen a single crash since, knock on wood... I did try to stress it by loading tons of stuff and it is still working fine.

14. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

This is silly. :D Thanks for the laugh. All you usually have to do is restart the device.

15. GDF macrumors 6502

Mine still crashes in Safari even after Apple wiped it cleaned and started over last Saturday. Is everyone's iPad Air crashing in Safari? It has gotten beyond annoying. Never had an Apple product that has been so buggy and I have had lots of Apple products.

16. mrdm macrumors regular

Agreed. Safari crashes constantly. I've had both my ipad air and iphone 5 restart when playing iTunes Radio. Ios 7 is by far the most unstable release I've experienced (even more unstable than the first iphone release - that's saying something).

One of the things I really liked about ios based products was the stability versus the alternatives. Sadly, that is no longer the case. Hopefully Apple will keep fixing ios 7 and it will be better over time.