My Air is so much faster than my MBP 17"!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shopbot999, Sep 23, 2011.

1. shopbot999 macrumors newbie

I have a 2.8GHZ MacBook Pro that is about a year old, with 4GB Ram. When I upgraded it to 10.7.1, it really became fairly sluggish. Lots of spinning beach balls. Apps take quite awhile to launch. Just double clicking on a very small screen capture on the desktop can take 10-15 seconds to launch Preview. That should really be instant. Same with small text files opening in TextEdit. I upgraded the internal HD to a 1TB 5400 RPM drive, but the performance was so bad I swapped that to a Scorpio 750GB 7200 RPM drive. Much better, but my little Air with SSD is 3 times as fast as this thing!

Wondering if there is some housecleaning that I am forgetting about? I reboot about once every 3 days when thing degenerate to ridiculous speeds, and that helps, but not enough.

Any input?

2. iphonenub macrumors regular

my guess is the big difference comes from hdd vs. ssd

3. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

Since the Air has the SSD drive it will be much faster than the much larger mechanical drive in the MacBook Pro. If you want to see a big improvement in the MacBook Pro swap out the HArd Drive with an SSD drive.

On the other hand though, I don't think SSD drives are at the large capacities yet that the mechanical drives have attained.

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

If you were to put a SSD into the quad-core notebook you'd notice that it would be faster than the Air.

5. akm3 macrumors 68020

You are now spoiled by the speed of an SSD. Just do yourself a favor and never use a magnetic disk again except for slow storage and archive.

What you are noticing is 100% related to the SSD.

6. Liquinn Suspended

What about the benchmarks in geekbench?

7. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

His MBP isn't a Quadcore.

Have you tried performing a clean install of Lion yet?

8. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

My bad.

I didn't know a 2010 17'' laptop still came with dual-cores.

9. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

The big factor could be Lion. Lion ran like crap on my 2010 MacBook Pro i7, but runs very smoothly on my C2D MacBook Air.

Also like everyone else said, SSD does indeed make a difference in load times and disk access too.