My air won't charge no led on mag safe

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Paulioo, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Paulioo macrumors newbie

Paulioo

ordered a new mag safe charger I hope its that as its out of the 12 month guarantee. Disappointed to be honest as I've always used cheap laptops before I bought my air and never ever had a problem before :mad:

2. Paulioo thread starter macrumors newbie

Paulioo

New magsafe has just arrived and its charging now, how can a charger fail ? is it a common fault and is there anyway to fix my original one ?

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The wires get tangled and then part inside. It's a design fault. The trick with your newbie is to loose coil it, the rubberised outer skin is not great at tight coils.

I've had to replace my MBP charger, but it was covered..Hope you have better luck with this one.

4. KPOM macrumors G5

I wouldn't say it is common but it could happen. Did you try the new plug with the old adapter? If it isn't that, perhaps the fuse blew on the old one (maybe from a power surge).

5. Paulioo thread starter macrumors newbie

Paulioo

Yeah I tried that but it still didn't work. At least its all sorted now the only thing I am concerned about is the fact that I ordered a non apple magsafe it was still £24 but I hope it will be ok

6. oneMadRssn Suspended

oneMadRssn

Apple has always replaced my chargers when they don't work. About a year ago, when the 2011 models came out, a few people on this forum (including myself) had issues with the chargers that came with the MBAs not charging some of the time.

I've also had Dell chargers die on me, but they didn't replace them as easily...

7. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I would throw it away and get a nice, shiny dell. It's clearly a common problem since you've experienced it. That's how this stuff works, right? Anecdotal evidence is the best.

8. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

I also had a dead charger for my 2010 MBA; no problem at all; was a quick exchange in the nearby Apple Store.

9. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

It can fail... When I bought the new iPad 2, the charger was dead out of the box. Went back to the store and told them the charger was dead, they tested it and confirmed it's dead and gave me a new one ( they actually wanted to give a new iPad 2 box but I preferred to just get a functional charger since the iPad itself was fine, than go home with a new box and risking returning because of some other faulty component ).

"Designed in California... MADE in China!"

... that's the reason why it can fail...

10. Paulioo thread starter macrumors newbie

Paulioo

I never said it was a common problem! I simply asked if it was !

11. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Absolutely nothing wrong with stuff made in china, you need to get over your prejudice.

12. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Sorry if I offended you ( or any Chinese lurking around these forums )... facts are that Chinese Quality Control is crap. They might take it more seriously when producing stuff for the internal ( Chinese ) consumers but for stuff that gets exported, Quality Control is crap.

Of course, not saying that there aren't good products too, but the balance is still "in favor" of the crappy ones that eventually hit the International market. Chinese workforce is quite cheap, humans make mistakes... and the more humans you have doing "mass production manual work" ( not once in record time ), the more mistakes you'll end up counting.

13. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Relax, I was just joking.

----------

Really? I have to tell you that you're misinformed. Your prejudice could be justified about a decade ago, but things couldn't be further from the truth now.

14. Barna Biro, Jul 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2012

Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Ok, so what would be today's truth in your opinion? Did I mistakenly think that the workforce is cheap or that humans make mistakes and the more you have doing manual work in record time ( many times not in great work conditions / using inadequate equipment ), the more mistakes you'll end up counting?

Or am I wrong in all of my statements above? :)

15. theSeb, Jul 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2012

theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

The labour force is indeed cheaper in China. However, your initial postulation that "made in China" is an immediate indicator of poor quality is not correct. I am curious about the "inadequate equipment" bit especially. Do you believe in your mind that the backwards Chinese peasants are using hammers and shovels to create circuit boards? Practically every consumer electronics company has shifted parts, or all, of their production to China. Yet there has been no quantifiable decrease in quality of their products. Most consumers don't even realise their stuff was made in China.

16. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

hence his explanation :p

17. asting macrumors 6502

Not that i agree with every sentiment, but stuff is manufactured in China because it is cheap to do so, not because the quality is better than elsewhere.
    Quality has improved greatly, but China isn't world renowned for defect free manufacturing.

Having said that, errors occur everywhere (first world countries included).

18. oneMadRssn Suspended

oneMadRssn

I feel alright about buying stuff manufactured in China, but when my company outsourced some of the programming work to China, quality went WAY downhill and the engineers here in the US began spending most of their time fixing what was broken overnight.

A 4 year college in the US > a 4 year college in China.

19. calvol macrumors 6502a

Everyone in the computer industry knows the Chinese CM's (FXCN, GMTK, etc) cheat on component substitutions, i.e. putting in cheaper components, to increase the CM gross margins. But Apple and other OEMs manage the cheating by mandating "critical component" lists which cannot be substituted.

20. LordVic macrumors 68040

it happened to me. RIM just sent me a new charger overnight that worked.

it's tech. Sometimes there's a lemon. it's completely unavoidable. as long as it's not something that happens to everyone.

21. Paulioo thread starter macrumors newbie

Paulioo

Yeah I suppose your right and it seems fine now with the new charger. Is it worth a try taking the old charger back to a apple store even though its been over 12 months ?

22. JonLa macrumors 6502

I'm assuming that, as it was a UK plug, you changed the fuse? They do die sometimes...

23. Paulioo thread starter macrumors newbie

Paulioo

I tried the plug from the new magsafe on the old one and it still didn't work

24. oneMadRssn Suspended

oneMadRssn

Bring it back. They don't know how old it is by just looking at it; and I'm pretty sure the chargers don't have unique serial numbers.

Odds are they'll just replace it for you.