My Airport Express Network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by chuchichan2524, Dec 30, 2009.

1. chuchichan2524 macrumors regular

Hello,

I've recently setup a wifi network with two Airport Expresses. I have a fiber line and I was expecting better speeds. One of my Airport Expresses is a B/G speed and the other is an N.

What happens with my network is that if I unplug the main "home" Airport Express (the "N" one), and I reboot my Mac, then speeds seem "ok". After a while the speed degrades and I have to do this again.

Is this because I have a b/g Airport Express and an N Airport Express together on the same network? Are they somehow conflicting?

Would I see much better results if I purchased an Airport Extreme Base Station and used that with the "N" Airport Express and removed the B/G Airport Express from my network?

What are the advantages of the Airport Extreme Base Station vs. an Airport Express device?

Thanks very much in advance...

2. AmsterdamG5 macrumors newbie

Airport Express x 2 - N and G in a network

Hi there!

Was cool to read your entry, particularly because Mac Stores here told me that setting up a wireless network with 2 Expresses would not work. Maybe your computer is already WiFi enabled and you are not using the other Express connected with network cable to an older Mac. That was my idea and it was turned down with a "get yourself a new machine" kind of grins. :)

But what I have been told very often is, that you can get N-speeds only if ALL of your network components are N. Have one lower, the whole things drops to that lower speed. Having a N-connection between two N-enabled ones and the lower speed with e.g. an old legacy unit will not work. It's like "chain is as strong as it's weakest link."

But tell me, how is your network set with two Expresses? I just would like to challenge the statement I got from Mac Store here.

Regards,
    AmsterdamG5

3. tkwood macrumors newbie

Express network 11n + 11g ok but can I go wds?

I have a wireless network set-up with two express. The base is a 811n and the remote out at the stereo is a 811g. The n was set-up to create a network and the g to join a network. For air tunes, laptop, and printing it works fine.

Now if anybody reads this. Is it possible to set this network( above ) to wds. Every time I try I get an error, Is that because one is a N and one is a g? I have seen instructions on other threads but I still get the error. I simply want the ethernet port to be active to plug in a blu ray player. And speaking of that if I can sucessfully change to wds will airtunes still be active , or am I giving up airtunes for an active ethernet port?

Help!