My Airport express unit has died

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by appledrone, Jun 24, 2008.

1. appledrone macrumors regular

My went to switch on my airport express the other day and nothing, no lights or power - nada.... i have tested other items in the same socket and with no probs so its definately the airport, has anyone else had this happen and know how to fix? I think its probably a fuse but how do get at it?

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Very recently my express did the 'exact' same thing.

Only way I solved the problem was to blow €90 on a new one :( There was just no coming back from the dead with the old and it was out of warranty so I had no other option...

3. appledrone thread starter macrumors regular

did you attempt to repair it?

I bought a new one but would like to be able to repair the original one if possible...

4. trs23 macrumors member

Join the crowd

Mine died a few months ago. I waited until a couple of weeks ago to replace it as well.

Do a google search. Its well documented that they die -- usually a few weeks after the warranty.

5. appledrone thread starter macrumors regular

oh well, at least i got 3 and a half years out of mine......annoying none the less!

6. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Yea .. that happened to one of my Linksys routers last year. I had it for around 3 years and then one day ..... poof!!

7. waw74 macrumors 68030

I have had the little power plug fail on one of my apple things (the removable corner so you can change which type of power plug you use), Try swapping it from the new one.

8. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

My Belkin Pre N router died a year ago - and they replaced it for free; since they have a lifetime warranty. My linksys was also replaced, since it came with a 3 warranty. I like Apple, but their warranty policy on components (e.g. routers, monitors) is wretched relative to others in the industry.

To increase the life of my Apple Express; I've resorted to turning the power to 25%, which makes it run much cooler. I have no way to quantify this, but I can tell you that its much cooler at 25% power than it was at 100% power.

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

No i didn't. The reality is that an hour or two of a technicians time and parts if they need replacing would probably cost a lot more than a new express, so it simply doesn't make financial sense to repair for me.

10. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

Welcome me to the club. Mine lasted for almost two years, which is good, but it failed in the middle of my vacation trip in Russia, which is not, since a replacement Airport Express would have been 2x the US price.
    After returning to the US I replaced it with the N model.

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Only thing that is really annoying me is that both N versions of express and extreme do not work with my 360 wireless adapter. My previous express was the only way it would see the network, now that's been replaced i'm stuffed in regards to my 360. So irksome....

12. accrane macrumors member

what does it do to the performance of express @ 25% power?