My alarm never goes off. Help please.

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Marcellus, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Marcellus macrumors member

Marcellus

I used the alarm that came with the iPhone 4s, and then bought the Alarm Clock Rio in the Apps Store. Neither is working if the phone is off, only if the phone is on. I have always used my smartphone as my alarm clock. I set the alarm. Turn off the phone. And the phone wakes me at the right time. This has yet to happen with the iPhone 4s. It only seems to work if the phone is already powered on. Can someone help me with this? It makes no sense to keep the phone on all night. I want it off and the alarm to wake me. Thanks.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

So let me get this straight, you physically power off the phone (slide to power off) and you want to know why apps aren't working?

3. Atmosphere macrumors member

why would you expect it to work when your phone is off? that makes absolutely no sense

you don't get full by staring at food, you don't get to your destination by sitting in a car, and you won't get woken up if your phone is off.

4. mbh87 macrumors member

5. thatdrewguy macrumors regular

Maybe OP is referring to how blackberries work, you can set it to auto power off and on at set times so if you've asleep you don't get bothered by calls coming in. If an alarm is set then the phone auto powers on right before the alarm time.

6. Marcellus thread starter macrumors member

Marcellus

Yes, I turn it off. With my Blackberry, I set the alarm, turned off my phone before retiring, and the phone turned itself on at the time I set the alarm, and the alarm awakened me. Why is that so odd an expectation? It worked with the Blackberry, why not with an iPhone?

7. simply amazing macrumors member

truth. even if you don't set the turn on/turn off times on the bb, if you physically power off your blackberry it automatically turns itself on at your set alarm time

8. Marcellus thread starter macrumors member

Marcellus

That is exactly right, which is why I expected the iPhone to have the same feature. I thought most smartphones did, but obviously I was mistaken. So if I want the alarm to work on iPhone, I will need to buy a docking station or just leave the phone on all night, right?

----------

Look, what I expected makes no sense to you, but it makes sense to me because my Blackberry always had this feature. I have only had the iPhone for a week, and I had no idea it needed to be left on all night for the alarm to work. That is what does not make sense to me - a total waste of battery life.

9. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

Yes leave your phone on.

10. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

OP, if you're worried about being woken by a call or text during the night, you can always turn the iPhone on silent with the switch above the volume buttons. The alarm will still sound, though, even if the phone is on silent.