My Amazing Macxperience (Applecare + TimeMachine)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by BlackThunder, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackThunder macrumors member

On Tuesday I dropped my macbook.

*Please take this opportunity to throw rotten fruit at me*

I know! I know!... i'm usually really careful but i had just put my macbook in it's iNCase bag and was about to put that into my backpack before I headed to class... on the walk over to my backpack my laptop (in the padded bag) slid out of my hand and landed flat on it's bottom, not hitting a corner) The total drop was less than two feet as I was holding it in one hand (like a fool) and my hand was about knee height.

End result... couldn't boot up... getting blinking question mark.. OSX couldn't find hard drive.

So I call the Apple store and make an appointment for 45 minutes later. I play dumb and say I don't know what happened... it must have been from carrying around in my backpack etc etc... he says he'll order me a new hard drive asap and get my machine back to me in 2 days... Since I have to leave it overnight I show him that my keyboard is getting pretty worn and my trackpad is really worn down (Although this isn't an Applecare problem I wanted to know how much to fix it)

[​IMG]

He says "no problem" and orders me a new top cover too! No charge!

They call today.. 2 days later.. I got my macbook and it's like new.. new topcase.. new hard drive... I plugged in my TimeMachine drive and it's like nothing ever went wrong! All my settings, apps, plug-ins, icons everything is as it WAS! I know this is how it was supposed to work but I'm still amazed!

[​IMG]

Just wanted to tell you guys my story... Applecare + TimeMachine saved my A$$... although I never did make it to class lol.. it was worth it. I'm gonna call tomorrow and tell the manager how helpful my Mac Genius was.

[​IMG]

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Time Machine is awesome :)

Glad to hear it all worked out for you.

3. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

Awesome story. Hmm maybe I need to start doing this time machine thing.

4. BlackThunder thread starter macrumors member

I'm seriously considering getting Time Capsule now... I have this decrepit, noisy 120gb hard drive I'm using for Time Machine... now that it came in handy I think it deserves a nice quiet 500gb Time Capsule or FireWire Rock Mobile Disk Drive..

5. Ferrari83 macrumors newbie

hehe.. saving money for Time Capsule :D but it's too expensive :(

6. mkaake macrumors 65816

Yeah, I've been thinking about upgrading to Leopard specifically for Time Machine, and grabbing a Time Capsule. Unfortunately, my thinking about it didn't happen enough, and 2 days ago I got a call from my wife while I was at work, asking what a blinking folder and finder icon meant on startup...

Bugger. The HD is only about 2 years old, if that. So I've been running around trying to repair this bugger (using ddrescue at the moment, and its been able to recover most of it so far, looks like the rest of the damage is to the boot sector only). It's never a good feeling when you realize that your last backup was 4 or 5 months ago - but I suppose that's a better feeling than realizing you've *never* backed up before...

Anyway, congrats - and I hope to join the Time Machine crowd soon! :D

7. .:R2theT macrumors 6502

So you lied to Apple so you didn't have to pay for your mishandling of a $1300 laptop.

Why are you okay with this type of behavior? And why is no one else calling you out for it?

Maybe try an ethics class next semester, it seems to me that you need it!

8. BlackThunder thread starter macrumors member

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

I never said I was perfect... If Apple offered a warranty that covered accidental damage I would have gotten it. I asked. They didn't. So I had to improvise.

9. .:R2theT macrumors 6502

Your right no one is perfect but if I smash into your car I am sure you would be pissed if I just ran off and didn't leave you a note for how to get ahold of me.

And ultimately it is your decision to lie to cover you material desires. As long you are aware that you just defrauded this company out of money then fine.

But it just blows me away how people(not just you) can come on to a forum(not just this one) and talk about their public deceits and everyone is just cool with it. It makes me wonder what someone(not just you) wouldn't be willing to do if it suited their purpose or desire.

So you are a victim to Apple's lack of product support? I think not. You dropped your machine and lied to cover the damage. You didn't improvise...you lied! And then you come on to these forums and make everyone who looks at your benign titled thread complicit in your deceit. You are only victim to your lack of integrity!

10. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Good to hear this. I know I should backup, but I never do. Maybe one day I will learn... :rolleyes:

11. BlackThunder thread starter macrumors member

R2, I openly admit that I lied, and it was wrong. So in that we agree.

The difference is I don't judge other people because then I would be a hypocrite... like you.

Unless you have never lied... So get over yourself.. I'm not a victim of anything, Apple went out of their way to help me. They new I was a customer who spends alot there and they took care of me. I'm thankful they did. I even wrote a letter thanking them for their service. These techs aren't idiots.. they know how a hard drive goes bad.. but they still helped me.

But yeah, I already said what I did was wrong so this argument is moot. Hop of your pedestal buddy.

12. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Heh, ignore him. I do the same thing. (Though not as dumbassed ;))... I upgraded the RAM in a black MacBook, yes I grounded myself and stayed the **** away from carpets and etc, but I still fried the MacBook. I took it to the Apple Store, played dumb, and had the logic board replaced. :eek:

Yes, I gave the RAM swap a second attempt after the repair, and it worked perfectly fine.

13. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Yeah, it was a serious breach of morals to defraud a company with billions in quarterly revenues, no debt, and $16 billion in the bank out of a $200 hard drive. :rolleyes:

It's like if I went to Target, bought a $30 crock pot, used it to cook a pot of chili, cleaned it out, and returned it saying I didn't want it. If I'm not going to use it again, why not? What the **** has Target ever done for me? Why should I have any sympathy for them? Given the chance, they'd screw me however they could to milk more profit out of me, so I'm quite happy to screw right back. Scenarios like that are priced into the cost of their products.

Apple's not your friend, they're a cold-blooded corporation just like any other.

Anything. It's called being human. In the grand scheme of things I think this particular offense is pretty trivial, especially considering the parties involved

And you suffer from a seriously inflated sense of self. The OP made a mistake while otherwise being careful with his purchase. I don't fault him for feigning ignorance. It sure beats spending $200 (or whatever higher cost Apple would've screwed him on) for a new HDD.

14. danny_w macrumors 601

I like Time Machine a lot, but only for individual files that I accidentally delete and can recover through TM. For full backups I use SuperDuper! which keeps a complete clone of my hard drive, and is so much faster than TM for restoring a complete system. To me each backup method has its place. It's great that TM got you back to where you were before, but a hard disk clone would have been much better for that purpose.

15. .:R2theT macrumors 6502

Yes we agree.

That sounds like a judgement to me. Seeing as you have no other information about me other than me calling you out for what you did.

There is nothing for me to get over. I never said I haven't lied but I didn't go onto a public forum spouting my deceits. Apple only did what they did because you lied. And HDs die/fail all the time from things other than being dropped by people who don't properly handle their machines. And writing the letter is the icing on the cake. Does that make you feel like what you did wasn't so bad because you wrote them a letter thanking them?

The only reason you admit to anything is because I pointed it out. In the 20 minutes this exchange has been going on you have probably thought more about your lie than you would have...ever!

Do you think what you do doesn't affect how Apple prices their products? Do you think that cumulative effect isn't felt? I assure you it does. Actions like yours drive up prices for everyone else.

And as far as my pedestal...it doesn't exist, at least not as far as this topic is concerned.

16. BlackThunder thread starter macrumors member

So discrete deceit is ok? That's the difference that lets you sleep at night, perched high atop your Bedestal (see what I did there... it's Bed and Pedestal combined)? Although I lied to Apple I was being honest on this message board. Why would I alter my story on here? Just so I don't get judged by people who are in no position to judge me? I think not.

Nope. I assumed somebody would cause a stink. Guys like you are pretty predictable... like the people who correct punctation in chat rooms, and people who are overly racist on youtube... comes with the territory.. in this case the internet.

Yeah, and I'll continue to pay top dollar for service like this.. even with an inflated price.

17. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

You mean Apple's prices which have fallen, both in terms of absolute dollar number and relative to inflation pretty steadily for the last 10 years or so? :rolleyes:

18. .:R2theT macrumors 6502

I guess that makes the whole thing okay.

I agree there is no such thing as perfection in the human condition. But that does not minimize the damage done.

I don't see how your armchair diagnosis holds any weight. Just because I choose to call out a liar when no one else was doesn't shed light on anything other than my willingness to step up when I see misdeeds. I am not so special for doing it, it just happened to be me doing it.

I guess it's okay for me to just start stealing my food from the grocery store. It beats spending my own money on it. Give me a break, you are just backing up lies and deceit.

19. .:R2theT macrumors 6502

It doesn't mean prices couldn't be better if Apple saw losses like this go down. When I have worked in retail, when I saw shrink go down I could then lower prices. It doesn't mean I did all the time but it happened more often than not.

20. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

i always tell my dad we shud get time capsule cuz me and him are both recent switchers. He thinks nothing will happen which will force us to backup...i disagree so hopefully he listenss

21. DaBrain macrumors 65816

DaBrain

22. .:R2theT macrumors 6502

Nope discreet deceit is not okay. But just because I have lied in the past doesn't mean I am living that kind of life today.

So now I'm being compared with OCD grammar cases and racists who like the internet just because I challenged you what you did. You admit that you lied and it was wrong, does making those type of comparisons make you feel less bad about the situation. You know nothing about me other than I stood up for what I see as the correct and ethical thing to do. You can agree with that or not but I don't really see how you can logically make those associations.

Something else we can agree on. Does that mean we'll trying to one-up each other on YouTube later with racist comments?

23. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Backing up seems like a useless task...until you actually need it

24. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I too work in retail, and if shrink went down, prices would remain the same. It's called capitalism buddy, get used to it.

25. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Good stuff. Glad to know that my recent investment in a 500gb drive for Time Machine purposes will hopefully save my bacon in the future too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.