My app icons changed/now apps wont work

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by crwd2008, Sep 18, 2009.

1. crwd2008 macrumors newbie

Apple Iphone 3GS
    Not jailbreaked

I have done nothoing to this phone but download a ton of free apps and synched it with itunes 8. I did not upgrade to Itunes 9 or 3.1. I noticed the other day that SOME of the app icons that I download had changed appearance, they looked like similar icons on my phone. I deleted them and reloaded them (i only buy free apps). I rearranged my icons (all over the place) and all was good. This morning i wake up and noticed that some of my icons had taken the appearance of some of my other icons, again. I tried opening some of the apps, the initial screen appears and it shuts down. Only the apps that came with the phone work now. I reset all settings, it reset, but I still have this problem. I updated apps via the store, no help. I "rebooted" the phone and synched it, no help. I wanted to unlock the phone but now I am thinking about upgrading to 3.1 because of this issue....what to do? Could it be one of the apps i downloaded from apple? Phone defective?

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You have to delete one of the apps that is messing up from your iPhone (preferably a free one that doesn't have any information stored that you don't want to lose). Then go back to the App Store on your iPhone, and redownload the application you just deleted. Once it starts downloading click on the app icon to pause the download process, then turn off your phone only using the slider (not a hard reset). Turn your iPhone back on and finish the download. This should fix the icons for all of the apps.

3. crwd2008 thread starter macrumors newbie

All my of my downloaded apps won't open

All of the apps that I download won't work !! Only the apps that came with the phone work !! I must have downloaded 30 apps....

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yeah, so? I said pick one, not all.

5. crwd2008 thread starter macrumors newbie

I removed an app, it helped but not completely

I removed an app and reloaded it....now my apps work...BUT the app took the icon appearance of another app....can u change icons? Should I update it to 3.1? I love this phone, but damn its frustrating....THANKS AGGIE sorry if I sounded "mad" I am just crazy :) Thanks again !!

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Delete the problem app again, and reinstall.

Don't install 3.1 unless you don't care about jailbreaking. There's a lot about all that on MR. If you want the app arrangement features of iTunes 9 with OS 3.1, then you may want it. Other than that, OS 3.1 doesn't add much, or at least not much that I use.

7. crwd2008 thread starter macrumors newbie

Why is the phone doing this

Why would the app icon change and take on the appearance of another icon? Is the phone defective? Have you seen this problem posted before?

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yes, it has been posted before. There's nothing wrong with your phone. It's a software bug.