My Apple Care story

Discussion in 'iMac' started by seanm9, Feb 19, 2013.

1. seanm9 macrumors regular

Last Monday (Feb 11) my new iMac 27" i7, 680MX, 1TB HDD arrived...
    tuesday night the screen was shoing just a snowy static-y almost scrambled picture so i rebooted...
    the reboot kept it with the same pic until the Login window appeared (which didn't look quit right)...
    so i log in and check the display preferences... and i can only access 2 resolutions (basically 720p and a 4:3 800X600)...
    so I reset the NVRAM (PRAM for us old skool guys) (3x)...
    same issue...
    reset SMC...
    no change...
    once the resoultion is set at 720p you see the apple during start up...
    booted off the restore partition... still in 720p... checked disk and permissions with Disk Utility... no changes...
    Booted AHT and ran both tests.... no problem found on both... but resolution still stuck no higher than 720p...

So I call Apple Care and the rep walked me thur some of the steps I had tried and decides it's a HW problem and has me book an appointment at a local Apple Store...

Made one for yesterday (the first day I had off from work in 2 weeks (thanks Nemo))

So yesterday I bring the iMac in to the Apple store and the tech comes over boots it up sees the 720p resolution and reboots zapping the PRAM (NVRAM)... the scrabled/snowy screen pops and and the tech then goes ok it's a failed video card... they refused to fix it (week old machine fails is not worth repairing (as someone said on this form thats a refurb) ) and are gonna get me a replacement... the problem is that mine is a CTO (i7 and 680)... well the tech grabbed his manager and they gave me a brand new one off the shelf and it has the 1TB FDD) so they gave ma a free upgrade to Fusion... I guess they have the i7,680, 1TB Fusion in stock but not the regular HDD model... just finished restoring every thing from my time capsule backup... and all is good...

I would have paid the extra for the upgrade to get my machine back home yesterday or had them ship an advance replacement ... but they gave me the free upgrade...

2. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

Thats a lot better experience than I've ever had with apple care, are you liking the fusion drive?

3. seanm9 thread starter macrumors regular

Haven't had time to play with it... gotta pay the bills...