[MY APPLE EXPERIENCE] - Retina Display "Ghosting" - UPDATED

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DJAKO, Jul 2, 2012.

1. DJAKO, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012

DJAKO macrumors 6502a

I just wanted to share my story for users who have similar issues with the retina display "ghosting". I've read most of the relevant threads about this issue, and someone who had a similar story. I'm posting this here because the other threads seem to be getting a little noisy and off-topic.

I got my Retina Macbook Pro about two weeks ago. I have been typically using it in clamshell mode with external monitors and hadn't noticed anything prior to yesterday. Last night I first noticed some ghosting when going to the dashboard to view a widget. The dark gray background made it easy to spot the ghosting caused from a website I was viewing on Chrome.

I just did it again to show you an example of how it looks on my screen. Ironically I pulled up the flightaware website and left it tracking a flight for 10 minutes before taking the picture.

Anways, on to my experience with Apple. Last night I setup an appointment at the genius bar for 11:15am today. I arrived and showed the genius what issue I was having and demonstrated it to him. He clearly saw it and understood the problem. Because my laptop had the 16GB of RAM upgrade, there was nothing he said that could be done from the store. He instructed me to call 1-800-MY-APPLE. I also asked him to make a support ticket to document what he saw and the issue in question. He never gave me a ticket number, and told me that "they" would be able to look it up when I call Apple. Ok, so I left.

I called 1-800-MY-APPLE right when I left and really didn't know what department to ask for. First I asked for sales support and explained the rep my issue. He asked for a ticket number (which I was never given) and I told him that he should be able to look it up. He told me he couldn't look it up and would have to transfer me to another department. There I could provide my serial number, and then would get my ticket number, and then would be transfered back. Well a dozen phone calls later, and numerous dropped calls from Apple an hour went by before I finally got what I asked for.

Anyways, I sit with this position. I have a new laptop in the "processing" state as if I just ordered it. Currently it's shipping in 3-4 weeks and delivers by Jul 30 - Aug 3. I have to send my current one back and just received the shipping label from FedEx for the laptop. It states that it needs to be returned by Jul 16. I plan on doing it sooner, but at least it gives a little time to still use the current one before shipping it out.

That's my story, and I've attached some relevant pictures. Wish I would've never noticed it, but I'm the type of person who this would bug, while for others it may not be a huge deal.

Hope someone finds this useful.

Attached Files:

2. TopToffee macrumors 6502a

This may sound ridiculous, but I'd email Tim Cook if I were you, and explain the less than stellar experience you've had.

Seems ridiculous, but I've seen quite a few people say they've done similar, and have received phone calls from Apple pretty much doing what it takes to put the issue right.

3. anatolie macrumors member

Heard of this too, my rMBP arrives in a few days and I'm going to try to replicate this issue. Ridiculous when you paid $2k+ for a laptop..

4. katmeef macrumors 6502

This is a good reason why I may end up sticking with the 8-512 base model and canceling the 16-512 I have on order.. I have no issues with my screen currently and the machine passes extended apple hardware test, but it is a first gen product and I like to be able to get service at the store if anything were to happen down the road..

It's not like I need the 16 Giggity-bits currently, if I needed it later I could always sell this and get the newest at that time.

5. IPlayFair macrumors member

Products made in any production line, especially products made by the hundreds of thousands or millions, there is bound to be some with flaws that escape quality control and end up in the hands of customers. The test is will the company replace or fix the problem. Its to early to make judgments about the retina display. I've read more complimentary reports than negative.

6. conandoyle macrumors member

7. katmeef macrumors 6502

I was not criticising or judging the retina display and I have no problems if there are growing pains with the rMBP, otherwise I wouldnt have bought the base 512 model in the store last week. But personally I'd rather not have to wait 3-4 weeks for replacement if my rMBP does have a problem, be it with the retina display or otherwise. Certainly apple will make it right (eventually) for the OP, and it would be a non issue if they were shipping immediately of course.

That all being said I still have my order processing for a 16/512 and the 8/512 is pending return :) but hearing peoples experiences like this may cause me to keep the base instead. Fortunately I have lots of time to think about it and decide, based partially on the experiences of others shared on this forum.

8. billpaxton macrumors member

billpaxton

I'm in Australia & on 2 occasions (2006 & 2011) i had faults with my laptops, in 2006 within 1 month and 2011 a year after purchase.

Apple were happy to send a new one and once id received it then send my current one back, the catch was that i had to supply them with my credit card details in case i didn't return the old laptop. They happily explained that this allowed me to transfer my data over & without any disruption to my use of the machine.

I'm grateful as its a great service apple have. I'm letting you know so hopefully you can take advantage of this and ask apple to do the same.

If i were in your shoes i would fully expect the above from Apple...

Good Luck

9. mdapple macrumors regular

When did you order?

10. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Why not have them replace the display? I'm sure it would take less time than the whole exchange is taking.

11. billpaxton macrumors member

billpaxton

i also had my display replaced on my 17" 2011 MBP within 3 months of receiving it (that was the replacement laptop).

it took my local applestore 7 hours. i picked up and dropped off in the same day.

Once the parts are avail it would be a much simpler solution although im in the same boat, order my 2.6/512/16 and im hoping i don't have similar issues.

12. anatolie macrumors member

Ordered on 12th with edu discount, changed to processing on 29th and shipped 30th. Estimated for July 4th (Wednesday) before 12 :rolleyes:

2.3Ghz/16GB Ram/256GB SSD

Didn't get a free SuperDrive, had to pay for mine :(

13. pacman7331 macrumors regular

pacman7331

I would have refused to return it until the replacement arrived...

They better not try that **** with me if I get a defective one. :mad:

And I'd defiantly be telling Mr CEO..

14. billpaxton macrumors member

billpaxton

agree. x2

15. dude4 macrumors newbie

does apple no longer do cross shipments? when my old powerbook had issues i was allways able to do cross shipment , they just put a hold on your creditvcard during the shipment

16. DJAKO thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just to give an update and make a long story short, I ended up speaking with someone higher up in Apples Executive support team and just received my replacement today.

The display appears to be much better, I can notice the very faintest "ghosting" after amount 15 minutes of a static website on a dark gray background. It's too hard to photograph and I do not see it on the dashboard which was my main issue before.

What do you guys think? I'm starting to believe that under the right conditions and the right image/website you can probably see a little image retention on any retina screen. It's just nobody really notices it, or looks that close.

17. DJAKO thread starter macrumors 6502a

So after receiving my second retina, here are some images I tried to take displaying the ghosting. Was hoping to see if you guys think this is normal/acceptable due to the IPS display, or if I should call Apple again and ask for another one.

The website I left on the screen was, http://flightaware.com. You can see from the images some of the outlines of the "grid" layout from the website.

Actual picture
    http://f.cl.ly/items/0001401W121d2y3m2b0M/og.jpg

Bumped up contrast so it is easier to see "ghosting"
    http://f.cl.ly/items/1B2h0e3H0a1p1d19350j/high-contrast.jpg

18. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

Get another one. It shouldn't have any whatsoever. I returned mine due to this and if my second one has it I'll keep sending it in over and over. For me personally I'm sending it back.

And rather than just getting the exchange I'll get my refund before my 14 days so that I can buy another one and just get a new 14 day refund and then I'll keep doing it until they get it right.

19. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

* This is my cousin's rMBP *

I left the ' Verge ' open for about 20 minutes [ dark grey background on the desktop and max brightness ] and could see some ghosting!!

Display type: A00F
    Manufacture week : 25 [ June ]

Waiting for the 15" cMBP HR replacement to decide which to keep and then act accordingly. But, its disappointing!

Oh, and the right side [ around the right speaker ] creaks too... :rolleyes:

20. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I'm guessing none of you ever used the old 27" cinema display. They all did this.