My Apple Experience

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Rookie1986, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Rookie1986 macrumors 6502

Not that many of you will be interested but I thought I would share my first apple experience with you all. It all started back in August this year when my old PC started to act up (blue screens etc) I had been thinking of going apple for some time but the price difference for the hardware had put me off.

At the start of September I was offered a raise at work which would give me a lot of spare money so I decided to put it to good use and on September 13th I placed an Order for an iMac with apple care and an iPod Touch. Fortunately my twin brother goes to University so he kindly offered to buy the iMac for me with his student discount, the total price for the iMac, Apple Care and iPod Touch was £1093, at first I thought it was expensive since most of my previous systems cost around £500-£700 but I decided to go with it because I really needed something to replace my last system.

After placing my order and having my delivery date change and change and change some more I was starting to get a little disheartened. All in all it took just over a month for my iMac with Apple Care and iPod Touch to arrive with me, which I thought was unacceptable since they state a lot faster shipping on there website and there disregard for my personal time of having to wait in for a delivery that just didn’t seem to be coming (I had 7 different delivery dates in total). This was far beyond the service I had expected from apple, so I decided to make a complaint.

I wrote a letter of complaint to sjobs@apple.com last Thursday and on Monday I got a phone call from an apple representative regarding my e-mail to sjobs@apple.com, we talked for a good 10 to 15 minutes about what I had experienced and told me my iMac and iPod Touch would be with me the next day (which they were) and to leave the matter with him and he would contact me on Wednesday to check if everything had arrived and was working.

So Wednesday rolled round and I got a phone call from apple this morning, the guy was very helpful and on top of my student discount and iPod rebate he offered me an additional £100 back off my order, I was surprised to receive so much compensation and just to top things off I also qualified for the £6 upgrade to Leopard! So because I had a bad experience at the start I ended up coming out on top with my whole order coming in at £914 after my £85 rebate, £100 credited back to my card and £6 for leopard.

The iMac is one beautiful piece of hardware and I cant seem to pick a fault with it (well apart from my printer doesn’t work with it :() and so far I’m loving the change and I didn’t think the transition would be so easy. Installing the RAM myself couldn’t have been easier and the iMac recognised it straight away :), The external WD My Book HDD was so easy to set up and get working to, I just cant believe how easy every thing is!

My iPod touch is a fantastic piece of kit I’ve never experienced anything like it, it seems light years ahead of anything else I have ever used and it seems more like a PDA then a music player, the ability to check sports scores or the news on the go is awesome it is by far the best iPod ever and is great for people who don’t want an iPhone or are unable to get one.

I’m really impressed with apple and I can see myself defiantly being apart of their world for many years to come, Anyway I guess this post has gone on long enough so I will end it here.

Thanks for reading :)

<> Edit <>

A Pic of it all set up, sorry about the qualty but my "good" camera is out of battery

[​IMG]

2. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

sounds awesome!

I ordered mine on Sept 29th and it only arrived October 13th :( 2 weeks when they quoted 3-5 days! Not quite a month thought I guess!

how did you qualify for leopard?

3. sananda macrumors 68020

4. stu.sutherland macrumors newbie

I like reading posts like this...

People tend to only post about apple customer service when it is bad, but recently we've had a flux of people telling of their pleasant experiences with Apple.

It's nice to see the flip side of the coin.

The iPod touch is a fantastic device.

5. Blueprint macrumors member

All that for £914 :eek:

Looks amazing m8ty and nice to hear everything worked out for you eventually :)

6. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

You made out quite well there! From what I can see, is that a Dell printer? I've found out that Dell is not so inclined to play with :apple: nicely... as the printer issue baffled me too. You made out well I see... sometimes I wish I could get lucky with the money (right now I'm struggling to raise enough for Leopard and an iPod touch, but I'm 16 so yeah).

7. Stetwin macrumors 6502

Stetwin

Looks like you came out of it very well indeed, love the setup btw, what camera is that on your desk?

8. Rookie1986 thread starter macrumors 6502

Its a Nikon D40

9. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Not true! These are just the kind of posts that many of us enjoy ;)

Sorry to hear about your first experience, but it sounds like you done the right thing. Apple have always struggled to supply enough macs when they're first launched; I think your experience would be better if you were ordering now.

If you haven't already done it, start a new thread about your printer or visit Apple's Discussion Board and do a search there. Many 'incompatible' printers will work with a bit of fiddling around.

Enjoy your mac.