My Apple II Collection

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by fireboat, Dec 25, 2008.

1. fireboat macrumors newbie

Once upon a time, many years ago, I was really, really, really into collecting Apple II stuff.

I've got quite a large collection of Apple II hardward and software in my basement. Biege and Platinum IIes... ROM 01 and 03 IIgs... IIc... IIc+... Duodrives galore... MacPlus... Disk IIs... bins and bins and bins full of software... Apple III Monitor... Hundreds of old Apple II magazines... you get the idea. The collection takes up about a quarter of my basement.

I haven't been actively collecting for at least a decade now, but I still like the old computers. Every once in awhile I'll fire a few up and tinker around... but other than that I haven't done much with them. I've been rather out-of-touch with the Apple II community for the past decade or so.

My wife tells me I should get rid of all of the old computers. I can't do this. There are some I'd never part with (like my Apple IIe that was autographed by the Woz). But there are other (more common) items I have recently considered selling... not because I want to get rid of it, but because we really need to free up some space in our house.

A few questions--

a. Do you think any of it is worth anything?

b. *If* I decide to sell some pieces of my collection (I haven't decided yet), do you know where the best Apple II marketplace/selling place is? eBay? Elsewhere?

c. How does one ship a computer? It sounds awfully delicate and hard to pack up. How much would shipping IIes and similar computers cost? Has anyone had any experiences shipping computers?

Thanks for any and all replies. I look forward to hearing from you.

- fb

c.

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I saw some guy on YouTube who has a collection of old macs. He didn't have many Apple II's though.. He put it together all in his basement. There's tables, chairs, lighting, looks like a museum. All of his stuff works though. Maybe you could do the same?

3. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

Probably the best place for all vintage info is here

4. fireboat thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd love to do something like that, if I had the time, money or space. Definitely sounds like a cool place.

I currently have a few of mine set up. And almost all are in working condition.

If you see the video again, pass the url along. I'd love to see it.

Thanks.

- Tim

5. fireboat thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for letting me know about the site. I'll read through it.

6. MacTech68, Dec 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2011

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

I think this might be the guy. It's a fantastic setup.

There is also a video here.

**drools** :eek:

7. fireboat thread starter macrumors newbie

Holy moley... That video is absolutely amazing.

(I recognize a few of my computers in there too. :))