My Apple logo came off!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Onslow, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Onslow macrumors newbie

I've had my white 3G less than a month. This morning I was cleaning it with some iKlear and half of the silver Apple logo on the back peeled off :eek: Has this happened to anyone else? I've never used a case and only clean it with iKlear and the micro fiber cloth supplied with the iKlear. Should I try to exchange the iphone? It's been under 30 days since I bought it. Seems like shoddy workmanship to me having this happen on a brand new phone.

2. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Some people have reported this happening, and they have been able to exchange it from Apple. Since you are using iKlear, and they clearly state that Apple 'recommends, uses, or sells' this product, I would think it's covered.

However, I've never seen any pictures of the Apple logo half- or completely- off. Can you post some pictures? I'd like to see this.

3. Onslow thread starter macrumors newbie

Here's a pic

Attached Files:

4. CitiXen macrumors member

CitiXen

Damn that sucks, I'm sure Apple will supply with a new one.

5. Onslow thread starter macrumors newbie

Update

I took the iPhone in last night and they exchanged it for a brand new one, no questions asked. They had never seen anything like it before.

My new iPhone has a build date of week 1 2009. The old one was built in October.

6. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

I am glad to hear you got a new iPhone with a full Apple logo! Thanks for the picture, I too have never seen anything like that.

David

7. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

I lol'd at that! But its awesome that you got a new one:eek:

8. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

So what is the iPhone 3G's logo made out of? Foil?

9. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

I guess so. I think the original one was a piece of metal pushed through a cut out in the back cover because I saw somewhere you could buy a replacement. Apparently the 3G's logo is only foil. It seems like it is glued on very firmly though. We can see from this thread that it sometimes isn't.

David

10. Onslow thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it's foil of some sort with a clear coat applied over it. I was told at the store that it's clear coated 4 times, but I find it hard to beleive that they'd really know at the store. The older iPhone is a seperate metal part.

I thought about scraping off the rest of the logo and gluing the colored logo from an old Newton I have on.:apple:

11. marksandvig macrumors regular

wow that sucks.. glad they remedied the issue tho :D

12. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

That would be soooo cool! I would even love to a Photoshopped picture of that!

David

13. Onslow thread starter macrumors newbie

14. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

15. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

Wow, I have never seen anything like that. That would be something pretty cool to show off though.

16. Nitromaster macrumors 6502

They just replaced it?
    And it's just foil stuck on?

Me thinks it wouldn't be too hard to exchange your phone for a new one by delibrately rubbing the logo off?
    (I'm not implying anyone should do this and I don't have plans, just interested in the whole idea anyone could get a replacement whenever they wanted)

17. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Can they PLEASE go back to the original design.

Every new thread and my own personal experience keeps me feeling like I should start searching eBay for a 2g.

18. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

I was thinking along the same lines.;)

19. Onslow thread starter macrumors newbie

I think it was because the phone was less than a month old, and still under the 30 day trial/exchange/return policy. Had I owned it longer I doubt that they would have replaced it. The guy was shocked that It was less than month old, everything else on the phone looked brand new.

20. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Well, it is also covered for at least a year. I'm sure they would give you a replacement after the 30 day period if you had a good reason/explanation.

21. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

I second that!! Me first!!:D

David

22. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

23. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i actually like it without the logo

i dont like free advertising......i take off my cars dealrship stickers as well and on some, even the manufactueres stufff and have the car completely debadged

24. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

That's great.. when the logo of the car of my mother came off (Opel), they told her she can buy a new one for 50 bucks... so they basically asked her to pay to advertise the brand...

25. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

That's awesome. My parents and I do the same thing.

David