My Apple Menu is all screwed up in my Menu Bar

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zdlyons, Sep 30, 2010.

1. zdlyons macrumors member

So i know this is gonna be a challenging one...

After a day of installing and trying/deleting new apps as well as trying terminal tricks from UsingMac.com like these and these, i went up to my apple menu in the menu bar for the first time since i started fiddling around, and it looks like what you see below in the attachment. I have absolutely no idea what made it happen; I'm just wondering if there is a way to reset the menu alone. because instead of having just what it says in the "system services" section in the menu, it has all that other stuff as well (Calculator, FruitMenu, etc.).
    P.S.: Fruitmenu isn't even installed. i uninstalled it after i found out it was only a demo.

So basically:
    1) how do i restore the main menu in the menu bar back to its original settings?
    and 2) I need to do it in a way that wont screw up the rest of my computer or settings... please.help.

Thanks so much!

zach

Attached Files:

2. LPZ macrumors 65816

How did you uninstall FruitMenu? Did you use the uninstaller option in the fruitmenu-382.dmg? Did you try restarting the computer?

3. zdlyons thread starter macrumors member

I used both an app called "AppCleaner" and then went into spotlight and deleted remaining files myself...im guessing thats a bad thing...but thats only that one thing...any ideas about the rest of the menu items seen there?

Also, i found this other thing that might be abnormal... see the pictures below..when i right click something "Macintosh HD" and the folder/file i right click always come up in the options menu.

thanks
    z

Attached Files:

4. zdlyons thread starter macrumors member

Also, i just now tried re-installing it and uninstalling using the option that the application gives in the .dmg and that didn't work either.

5. LPZ macrumors 65816

Get the fruitmenu-382.dmg you used to install FruitMenu. Mount the .dmg and then double-click on the FruitMenu 3.8.2 Installer. When the installer panel opens, click on Uninstall. Then restart and see if your Apple menu is OK.

PS---installing stuff and fiddling around without understanding what you're doing is not recommended.

6. zdlyons thread starter macrumors member

Thanks it worked!

PS---fiddling around is how one learns new things. Although, im sure you already know this. :D
    thanks again!
    z

7. LPZ macrumors 65816

You're welcome.

So, what did you just learn? (Rhetorical question)

Fiddle on---but backup your system regularly.