Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

z31fanatic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
Mukilteo, WA USA
Yesterday morning my wife noticed that her ipad Air 2 had a continuous crack on the screen glass from the top to the bottom. She was a bit upset and we were wondering how it happened because it was never dropped. No damage anywhere in the casing. We thought that maybe our two year old son had stepped on it and cracked it. He likes to use her ipad even though he has one. :text-lol:
We are still not sure how it happened.

Anyway, I thought about going to the Apple store and see how much the repair would be. I walked in and right away was greeted by one of the geniuses (brilliant of Apple to call them genius :mrgreen: ). She asked what can she help me with and I showed her the ipad with the crack. She didn't even let me say anything and looked at it for any damage to the casing which there wasn't any. Then she told me that it's probably a defect from factory since it is one long continuous crack and that she has seen it before.

She made me sign in to icloud and turn off "find my ipad". Then we erased all the settings and she went to the back room and brought out a brand new ipad. I was never expecting them to do that.
I was obviously very satisfied and surprised at the same time. I thanked her and we said goodbye.

I had never been to an Apple store before for anything other than buying a product and I was very impressed with the service and how efficient they were. All of this took only 15 minutes.

Well done Apple!

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Good to see Apple still does things like this.

My autistic sister dropped her iPad 2 about two weeks after she got it. My mom took her to the Apple Store and they replaced it no questions asked.

Needless to say, my sister now has an otterbox iPad case.

Cancelled
Oct 17, 2006
This is the great thing about Apple. I've been a loyal Apple customer for many many years, and I've had them do things like this for me and have seen them do similar for others. Here's a few examples:

- 2006 white Macbook: kept having issues and was about a week from being out of Applecare. On 3rd trip into Apple store to have it repaired, manager just gave me a new 2009 Macbook off the shelf no questions asked.
- iPhone 4: Wife dropped hers a cracked the screen. Gave her a brand new phone no questions asked.
- My buddy's 21.5" 2014 iMac: major issues and after a couple of trips to the Apple store they upgraded him to a brand new 27" to compensate him for all his troubles.

The best thing about Apple is that you can actually walk into a store and talk to someone face to face about your issues. Imagine if this were Dell or Lenovo. They'd have you calling some foreign call center, have you speak to someone reading from a script, and shipping your product off to who knows where for who knows how long.

z31fanatic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
Mukilteo, WA USA
Another good experience today. Took my MBP in the Apple store because my son broke the down arrow key.
They took it in the back room and replaced the key. No question asked even though the MBP is out of warranty. In and out in 10 minutes.
I know it's just a plastic piece that costs only a few cents, but I am still impressed with how nice they are and how efficient they work.
Apple makes it hard not to buy from them. At least in my experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.