My Apple TV just rang when my iPhone did...

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by ascender, Sep 25, 2014.

1. ascender macrumors 68020

I'm guessing this isn't how the new feature of iOS8 should work, but just now my ATV stopped playing the TV show I was watching on Netflix to play one of the generic iPhone ringtones. It then went back to the Netflix main menu. Checked my phone and it was on silent with one missed call.

WTH? :confused:

2. Lord Hamsa macrumors 6502a

Did you leave your phone set to AirPlay to the ATV? I've had it happen to me in the past that it will continue to AirPlay audio even if I'm not sending video, if I forget to turn AirPlay off.

3. ascender thread starter macrumors 68020

Nope. I've never done that before to be honest, so not sure what happened.

4. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

It does sound like Airplay was on, though I've never had Airplay active on my phone when a call came in, so can't confirm the ringtone is "airplayed".

Unless it's a Handoff feature they haven't announced yet :)

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

My iPad rang! It only happened once and I can't get it to repeat. I'm glad I'm not the only one with random ringing devices. (I'm not being funny either that did happen a few days ago).

6. Indy2424 macrumors member

Not sure about the Apple TV, but on the iPad you can now answer your calls while on your ipad when it is in the same room as your iphone. Since I have updated my 3rd gen iPad to iOS 8. I have answered multiple calls on my iPad. It is one of my favorite new features.

Edit: This is part of the continuity features they showed.

7. waw74 macrumors 68030

Unless you also want to use the new wi-fi calling feature they talked about, then the answer your calls on other devices goes away.

8. gpspad macrumors 6502

Dam, you have to choose! Luckly my provider isn't offering wifi calling yet, but I love answering my calls on my iPad. I was always amazed apple never had a skype or face time like feature in its apple tv's.

It would be awesome to have itunes stream music to multiple rooms and if a call comes in, the music is muted and you can answer a call. Weren't we supposed to have that by now :)

9. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Yup, I had this happen to me on Sunday. Was very weird. I had JUST turned on my Apple TV so my phone couldn't have been connectd to airplay.

I haven't tested to see if it was a one-off or if it keeps happening. But I'm guessing it's a glich either simply due to continuity or because the next ATV actually will be able to answer calls.

10. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

It might not be a glitch after all but rather Apple TV simulating the behavior of other cable/satellite provider boxes that have an integrated caller ID feature when a calls comes in. But currently, there is no way for you to answer the call on the Apple TV.

11. gpspad macrumors 6502

I'm surprised that apple never integrated a version of FaceTime to the Apple TV.

12. oneof52 macrumors newbie

My wife's iPhone keeps ringing on my iPad. I try to answer it, but the call goes away. I thought it was because she is using my Apple ID for purchases or maybe iCloud somehow. Still don't know why.

13. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Imagine if this was integrated with HomeKit to pause the film and turn on the lights if the call is accepted.

14. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    No. The way it's currently implemented makes no sense as a "feature". It blanks out the screen, doesn't show you who's calling, gives you no way to answer the call... That's why I said it could be a future feature that slipped through occasionally as a glitch, but there's no way this is functioning as intended. Especially becaus Apple made no mention of it.

Oh yeah there are lots of possibilities that could one day be really cool.

15. squidkitten macrumors 6502

squidkitten

Is there a way to turn this off for certain devices? I kind of like the continuity feature on my mac but I don't want my iPad or my Apple TV to ring anymore. The Apple TV in particular is really annoying because it just stops my shows and takes me back to the main menu every time my phone rings.