Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

My Apple TV just rang when my iPhone did...

ascender

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 8, 2005
I'm guessing this isn't how the new feature of iOS8 should work, but just now my ATV stopped playing the TV show I was watching on Netflix to play one of the generic iPhone ringtones. It then went back to the Netflix main menu. Checked my phone and it was on silent with one missed call.

WTH? :confused:

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
I'm guessing this isn't how the new feature of iOS8 should work, but just now my ATV stopped playing the TV show I was watching on Netflix to play one of the generic iPhone ringtones. It then went back to the Netflix main menu. Checked my phone and it was on silent with one missed call.

Did you leave your phone set to AirPlay to the ATV? I've had it happen to me in the past that it will continue to AirPlay audio even if I'm not sending video, if I forget to turn AirPlay off.

Comment

ascender

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 8, 2005
Nope. I've never done that before to be honest, so not sure what happened.

Comment

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
It does sound like Airplay was on, though I've never had Airplay active on my phone when a call came in, so can't confirm the ringtone is "airplayed".

Unless it's a Handoff feature they haven't announced yet :)

Comment

chrono1081

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
My iPad rang! It only happened once and I can't get it to repeat. I'm glad I'm not the only one with random ringing devices. (I'm not being funny either that did happen a few days ago).

Comment

Indy2424

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2011
My iPad rang! It only happened once and I can't get it to repeat. I'm glad I'm not the only one with random ringing devices. (I'm not being funny either that did happen a few days ago).

Not sure about the Apple TV, but on the iPad you can now answer your calls while on your ipad when it is in the same room as your iphone. Since I have updated my 3rd gen iPad to iOS 8. I have answered multiple calls on my iPad. It is one of my favorite new features.

Edit: This is part of the continuity features they showed.

Comment

waw74

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2008
Not sure about the Apple TV, but on the iPad you can now answer your calls while on your ipad when it is in the same room as your iphone. Since I have updated my 3rd gen iPad to iOS 8. I have answered multiple calls on my iPad. It is one of my favorite new features.

Edit: This is part of the continuity features they showed.

Unless you also want to use the new wi-fi calling feature they talked about, then the answer your calls on other devices goes away.

Comment

gpspad

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2014
Unless you also want to use the new wi-fi calling feature they talked about, then the answer your calls on other devices goes away.

Dam, you have to choose! Luckly my provider isn't offering wifi calling yet, but I love answering my calls on my iPad. I was always amazed apple never had a skype or face time like feature in its apple tv's.

It would be awesome to have itunes stream music to multiple rooms and if a call comes in, the music is muted and you can answer a call. Weren't we supposed to have that by now :)

Comment

Yup, I had this happen to me on Sunday. Was very weird. I had JUST turned on my Apple TV so my phone couldn't have been connectd to airplay.

I haven't tested to see if it was a one-off or if it keeps happening. But I'm guessing it's a glich either simply due to continuity or because the next ATV actually will be able to answer calls.

Comment

sodapop1

Suspended
Sep 7, 2014
Yup, I had this happen to me on Sunday. Was very weird. I had JUST turned on my Apple TV so my phone couldn't have been connectd to airplay.

I haven't tested to see if it was a one-off or if it keeps happening. But I'm guessing it's a glich either simply due to continuity or because the next ATV actually will be able to answer calls.
It might not be a glitch after all but rather Apple TV simulating the behavior of other cable/satellite provider boxes that have an integrated caller ID feature when a calls comes in. But currently, there is no way for you to answer the call on the Apple TV.

Comment

gpspad

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2014
I'm surprised that apple never integrated a version of FaceTime to the Apple TV.

Comment

oneof52

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2006

My wife's iPhone keeps ringing on my iPad. I try to answer it, but the call goes away. I thought it was because she is using my Apple ID for purchases or maybe iCloud somehow. Still don't know why.

Comment

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK

Imagine if this was integrated with HomeKit to pause the film and turn on the lights if the call is accepted.

Comment
It might not be a glitch after all but rather Apple TV simulating the behavior of other cable/satellite provider boxes that have an integrated caller ID feature when a calls comes in. But currently, there is no way for you to answer the call on the Apple TV.

No. The way it's currently implemented makes no sense as a "feature". It blanks out the screen, doesn't show you who's calling, gives you no way to answer the call... That's why I said it could be a future feature that slipped through occasionally as a glitch, but there's no way this is functioning as intended. Especially becaus Apple made no mention of it.

Imagine if this was integrated with HomeKit to pause the film and turn on the lights if the call is accepted.

Oh yeah there are lots of possibilities that could one day be really cool.

Comment

squidkitten

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
Omaha
Is there a way to turn this off for certain devices? I kind of like the continuity feature on my mac but I don't want my iPad or my Apple TV to ring anymore. The Apple TV in particular is really annoying because it just stops my shows and takes me back to the main menu every time my phone rings.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.