Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Hi!
I made a mockup of a new Apple TV a couple of months ago, but since the rumours have sparked off again I thought I'd post it here.

AppleTV2.jpg

(Click to enlarge)

The actual process of 'designing' it was slightly changing the proportions of the Thunderbolt Display, so I didn't do very much work :p . I just enjoy mainly doing all the text and sort of selling the idea.

Anyway, take a look and tell me what you think.

BreakGuy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NZ, South Pacific
Plasma... really? Wouldn't an LCD or even LED screen be more likely? Plasma is old technology and I don't think Apple would do something like that as they would be shooting themselves in the foot if they did.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Plasma... really? Wouldn't an LCD or even LED screen be more likely? Plasma is old technology and I don't think Apple would do something like that as they would be shooting themselves in the foot if they did.

IDK, I think plasma is the *best* quality for a display. I think it would be something like OLED if they did make this.

Macman, well we can dream! I recently bought a Panasonic TV, (can't remember the model no - buy it was 50" full HD 3D) and it was north of £2,000.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
IDK, I think plasma is the *best* quality for a display. I think it would be something like OLED if they did make this.

Actually, plasma has several issues:
  1. Compared to LED/LCD, plasma display energy consumption is much higher at a time when TV set manufacturers have legal mandates to reduce energy consumption.
  2. Plasma display 1080p flat screen are composed of 2,073,600 tiny glass tubes. These displays do not travel well. Plasma displays intended for use in Denver have problems when used in San Diego, Miami, nor New Orleans where atmospheric pressure is different.
  3. Plasma displays are substantially more massive than LED/LCD displays of the same size.
The best displays are computer monitors. Nobody uses plasma displays for computer monitors.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
  1. Compared to LED/LCD, plasma display energy consumption is much higher at a time when TV set manufacturers have legal mandates to reduce energy consumption.
  2. Plasma display 1080p flat screen are composed of 2,073,600 tiny glass tubes. These displays do not travel well. Plasma displays intended for use in Denver have problems when used in San Diego, Miami, nor New Orleans where atmospheric pressure is different.
  3. Plasma displays are substantially more massive than LED/LCD displays of the same size.
The best displays are computer monitors. Nobody uses plasma displays for computer monitors.

You win :p

rbkhockey83

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2011

I agree that they'd make it LED/OLED, but I think Plasma displays a better picture in a dark "theatre" room. I have LED's in all my rooms except my basement.. I have a 65" Panny Plasma and it definitely has the most vibrant colors. Also I believe Plasmas aren't used as monitors because the burn-in and what not.. I know it's barely a problem anymore but still. Also I'm pretty sure Plasmas have a much shorter life then LCD's because they loose their brightness after years of use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.