My Apple TV sucks!

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by 67bmer, Oct 11, 2014.

1. 67bmer macrumors member

I got it about two weeks ago with the $25 gift card promotion.

stopped working last night! could not sign in to iTunes. can't watch ANYTHING without being signed into iTunes.

unplugged everything and then plugged it back in.

then the down button on the remote stopped working!!!

called apple. the wait was 5 minutes. after 15 minutes I hung up. they never called back!!!

took it to the apple store today to exchange for a new one. they wanted to cancel the gift card because the promotion had ended. but they gave me a new remote, thinking that would solve all my problems. the new remote does not work at all!

and still can't watch apple tv.

and can't download the app because I do not have the new os. don't have the new os because i don't have enough memory to install it…

called apple this morning. the wait is 15 minutes. I know what that means...

so now i am even more pissed at the apple tv and now I think apple customer service sucks as too!!

anyone thinking they could get apple tv to "cut the cord"? you can't! there really isn't anything worth watching on apple tv yet. probably won't be for a very long time…

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

3. mic j macrumors 68030

4. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Maybe instead of crapping all over ATV, ask for some advice from the boards. I have been using ATV for some time now and have had virtually no problems or small enough problems that I could generally solve. ATV does work.

Just saying, could be a very simple solution to your problem.

5. 2010mini macrumors 68040

I'm going to assume you checked/changed the remote's battery.

Did you try connecting the ATV to iTunes and do a factory restore?

You mentioned not being able to update your iOS device because it is full. What is preventing you from making space on it?

6. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

Only because I've been a hard core Apple customer for years, did I decide to buy one. Prior to making the purchase I evaluated the device. Once I brought it home my experience mirrored the reports, it's slow, limited in capabilities and just plain boring. I'll be the first to take responsibility for buying this dud to begin with. My ROKU, Fire and Hulu setups are so much better.

Apple is and continues to fail to understand they can't be everything to everyone.

7. 67bmer thread starter macrumors member

My Apple TV sucks! happy ending

It was a very frustrating 24 hours.

later on Saturday I went here:
    https://getsupport.apple.com/Getpro...en_US&storeID=R168&lat=39.2163&long=-76.85971

as soon as I submitted, apple called and there was no wait!

the tech was very accommodating and knowledgable. By pressing the menu button + the left arrow for 15 seconds, my new remote synchronized with the ATV.

then he discovered that the network connection had become corrupted. I am not an expert and networks, but the combination of numbers in the IP address were wrong. He asked me to rester my router. The IP numbers changed and everything worked. I am using a cable, because the data speeds are higher than wireless. The apple tech recommended keeping the cable over wireless for the same reason. My macbook, fios tv, all worked perfectly the entire time. So I never suspected there was a cable/internet problem. Apparently, this may happen from time to time and I just need to reset my router. - I HAVE NO IDEA WHY.

My overall view of apple is still high! You just need to find the right person to help you.

AND - I discovered earlier Saturday if I plug my iPhone into my mac/itunes it will update the phone and the insufficient memory was not a problem!! But I could not update the iPhone on its own. It had to be connected to the mac running ituens…

my biggest complaint about ATV is that if you want to watch a lot of shows that are on cable you still have to verify a cable account - which is what I would like to get rid of...

8. JHankwitz, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2014

JHankwitz macrumors 68000

I religiously plug my iPhones and iPads into iTunes and sync weekly, and restart my iMac, cable modem, and routers at least monthly. It seams to be good preventive maintenance.

9. 2010mini macrumors 68040

You like everyone would love not to need cable to watch content on the Apple TV. But until we show the studios, networks and cable they can make more money with a different model, it will NOT happen. Right now they are making a tonne of money.

10. Action Bastard macrumors newbie

Action Bastard

I have cable tv and Internet with charter and the only reason I have an Apple TV is for my bedroom since I refuse to pay for additional cable boxes considering that most of my tv time is in the living room. The only time I use the Apple TV is when my wife wants to watch something in the living room that I don't like ;). And for that purpose it's great since I can view Netflix, hbogo, Hulu and showtimeanytime without any problems since I have spectrum internet which is 60mb of download speed :D

11. AL2TEACH macrumors 6502

67bmer
    my biggest complaint about ATV is that if you want to watch a lot of shows that are on cable you still have to verify a cable account - which is what I would like to get rid of...[/QUOTE]

I agree but it's first and foremost a business whose sole purpose of life is to get our money, lol. I will be getting rid of cable tv this week. You can see shows from the stations websites, hulu, or eh torrent files (illegal).

12. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

Are there any devices out there OTHER than Apple TV that will accept AirPlay to stream stuff from my macbook and did mirroring?

WDTV maybe?

13. tonyr6, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014

tonyr6 macrumors 65816

tonyr6