My Apple Watch shower experience

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by JerTheGeek, Apr 24, 2015.

1. JerTheGeek macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

So I took mine in the shower....
    Well, not entirely. I have a 42mm green sport. Loving this thing so far. Anyway, the time came for me to take a shower this evening and so I decided to set mine to the side, in between the shower curtain and liner, resting on the edge of the tub. Whenever I wanted to change something with my music or do something with the Watch, I just reached over and used my wet hands. This proved a little tricky with the touch screen getting wet, but I used the bath mat to dry it and it worked pretty well. The crown came in handy as well, being that you can use it with wet hands.
    What do you guys think? Does this sound like a good plan from now on, or does it sound too risky? What are you guys doing to control music in the shower with the Watch? It may sound silly, but it is a really important feature for me because I have had a Pebble for quite a few months now and I've gotten quite used to it ;)

2. undies1993 macrumors 6502a

I would be afraid of it falling and shattering. Happened to my first iPhone, the 3G.

3. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Oh it's on a low edge, that's really wide.

4. dearfriendx macrumors 6502

dearfriendx

I live in California so I take 5 minute showers to conserve water. That's about one good song. Turn it on, jump in, finish up shortly after the song. How many songs do you listen to in the shower?...

5. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

I like to skip through and often don't listen to the whole song. I like instrumental music also, and so ill shuffle all of it and skip until I get the one I want.

6. itouch rulz macrumors regular

Some watches are fine to swim with and get wet but they don't recommend using the buttons underwater or when wet as that can let the water in, ie kind of drag it down the sides. I'm not sure what they recommend for the Apple Watch but I'd expect using the touch screen and rotating the crown are safer than pushing the crown or pushing the other button.

7. Chicagogirlie macrumors member

8. Honey Badger, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2015

Honey Badger macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

With AppleCare+ and the 2 replacements, I plan on wearing mine in the shower. And especially now after seeing that video of the guy taking a shower with it washing his hair and getting soap all over it and then going for a 15 minute swim with it and then leaving it in a tub under water for a number of minutes and then leaving it on the bottom of the pool and after all that, there was no damage at all.

Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW5CxZioIkk

9. Wildgift macrumors 6502

Free country, yadda yadda but sounds like you're cruisin' for a bruisin'. Nice watch you got there. Would be a shame if something happened to it...:cool:

10. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Yeah that video was good news for me... Still not gonna swim with it or take it all the way in the shower though.

11. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

Honestly, I plan to shower with my watch and I won't worry about it in the least. Apple has stated that the watch has an ipx7 rating and ipx7 allows for total immersion in 1 meter of water for 30 minutes. I'm not going swimming with it, but a shower is well within its rating.

12. Honey Badger macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

I hearya...if I didnt have applecare, I wouldn't either....but if the watch breaks and I have to replace it, I won't be taking it in the water again.

----------

Of course, I have a June delivery date so I can wait and see what happens with others and get the benefit of people like you taking the risk. If it becomes apparent that shower is a big no no, then I won't be doing that when I get my watch. Thanks for TOFTT!:D

13. ECJ macrumors 6502

ECJ

Well took a shower, washed my beard and hair. Had no issues.

14. CharlieCat666 macrumors regular

CharlieCat666

It does say in the official user manual that you should NOT shower with it and that though it is okay in water, steam/hot water and soap are not okay.

15. sterl320 macrumors 6502

you can put it on the shower rod. That way its secure, it won't get wet, and its in an easy spot to reach.

16. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

You should try what I do and have it plugged in on the sink. Then "hey Siri! Play next track."

17. shenfrey macrumors 68000

It's water resistant, but watch out for condensation.

18. Honey Badger macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

Here's an idea for you: Why not buy one of those little stick on hooks and put it right on the wall above the showerhead and then just hang your watch on that?

19. whatos macrumors 6502a

My fail safe solution is to enjoy the music I have playing through built in speakers in the shower. No gadgets needed. Just a smarthouse :)

20. applesith macrumors 68020

applesith

I take 30-35 minute showers. So far the videos I've seen tried the watch for about 10 minutes. I don't shower with any of my current watches, so I don't plan to do so with an Apple Watch. If I listed to music, I'll just let something play.

21. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

Showered with my watch on after a quick 13.25 mile bike ride. Used it to set a reminder to do the laundry, and of course check the time. No hands required. I just left it on my wrist like I have done with every watch I ever owned. Came out squeaky clean and no worse for the wear. This is pretty much exactly what I expect to use it for in the shower, if I use it at all. Mostly, I just don't feel like taking a watch off just for a shower and am glad I don't have to.

Between Tim Cook saying he showers with his, the ratings, the specific claim of rain resistance, the third party tests, and the chat log of an Apple rep saying they were told to say it could be used in the shower... I'm going to go ahead and say the whole "using it in a shower" controversy is more than settled.

And for those who are confounded by those of us who choose to shower with a watch one... don't you have something better to do with your time than worry about things that don't matter to you?

----------

As if a smart house wasn't just one giant conglomeration of gadgets.

22. whatos macrumors 6502a

Unlike some, for me the word gadget is a delightful moniker for anything smaller than my new Mac Pro, that I have an interest in but too lazy to describe... :)

23. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Are there pictures of those chats? Or threads about them. I'd love to see that, pretty much confirms that it can indeed be used in the shower.

24. iregret macrumors 6502

25. Phil Holland macrumors regular