My AppleCare story...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ziessmeister, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Ziessmeister macrumors newbie

Long time lurker here...

In 2/05 I bought a 17' G4 PB for school and purchased AppleCare for it. It served me well over the following years and never had a single problem.

On 2.05.08 the bottom quarter of the screen went black so I took it into the Apple store where they informed me i had 3 days left of AppleCare and that they would cover the fix.

3 weeks later I got a call from Apple telling me the part was backordered until late March, possibly April and that they were offering me a new MBP if I wanted it...and of course I did. This was on 2.25.08 .

Later that day I checked online and my order for a new 17"/2.4/160-5400/2gb MBP had been placed! Woot!

The next morning I went to check my status and noticed that the new MBP had been released...crap!!! Oh well still a free computer.

I then proceeded to check my order and discover that it had been cancelled and changed to be a Penryn machine!!!!

Well after much waiting like everyone else on this board I picked up my new Penryn MBP this evening from the Apple Store without paying a penny, although I did repurchase AppleCare - seemed to be a wise investment.

I know a lot of people are skeptical of programs like AppleCare, and I am too for the most part but in this case it saved me...

2. MM07 macrumors 6502a

Good story. This is why I had no issues purchasing AppleCare for both of my new Macs.

You can never be too careful.

I'm glad that it worked out for you.

3. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

wow that's a great story!

makes me wanna purchase an apple care..
    what's your name again? steve? jobs?
    seriously, i strongly suggest getting one.
    the cost benefits outweigh the cost

thanks for posting your story

4. MagnumJoe macrumors regular

You lucky dawg, my 55" Mitsubishi needed a major repair, 10 days after the my warranty ran out. Cost me 800.00 to fix it. I just received my MBP yesterday and love it. I plan on buy AppleCare probably off eBay, has anyone else bought AppleCare from eBay? BTW Ziessmeister do you have the LOTTO numbers for Florida I should play?

5. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

Wow.

It never ceases to amaze me how incredibly variable Apple's service can be. I've had to fight like crazy to get a replacement for a clearly defective machine that was only 3 WEEKS old (with AppleCare purchased and activated on it). I can't even imagine service like that after 3 years.

The Apple I know would ship it to Texas and replace the perfectly good hard drive with a faulty one while leaving the documented broken LCD (for which repair was ordered) completely alone. Then they would send it back to Texas with another LCD repair order and a hard drive replacement order but would return it this time with the same LCD and defective hard drive but a new topcase. Then they would refuse to replace the machine and would offer another repair which would take two more weeks on top of the three it had already been out of my hands.

But I digress. Congratulations on getting good service from Apple. I sincerely wish we were all so fortunate.

6. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

That is fantastic. It's so nice to hear stories like this. It renews my faith in Apple, Inc.

7. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

Ouch.
    Congrats! I'm about to call apple to have my 12in PB sent in a fixed for the third time (!) due to a faulty trackpad. It stops working every 6 months to a year...very annoying.

8. Ziessmeister thread starter macrumors newbie

It sucks hearing stories like that and quite frankly I wonder why they jump to help me out when they could easily screw me but drop the ball on you guys.

9. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

very nice story, now i am gonna buy applecare for my new MBP... when i save enough money.

ChrisN

10. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

Nice. I definitely have to buy AppleCare now!

11. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

A Warm Fuzzy Feeling...

Great story.. I was a "late purchaser" of AppleCare for my 2nd MBp but hearing this makes it a bit easier to justify!!

Nice work and thanks for the +ve Posting!! :apple: ;)

12. chrisbeebops macrumors regular

Heh, a buddy of mine convinced me to purchase AppleCare for the same reason. His PBG4 stopped working after 2 1/2 years of service, and when Apple couldn't fix it in a reasonable time, he complained and got a new Macbook Pro instead. He liked his PB, but I he definitely didn't complain about the trade.

13. paenguin macrumors member

paenguin

amazing!
    let me rub off some of that luck..
    apple service sure is variable..
    it's all good in the end though. :cool:

14. comptr macrumors 65816

Applecare also replaced my macbook pro for the latest macbook pro and it going to be a huge improvement. It is worth the money

15. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

OP signs up to MR to write this story? Seems a bit suspicious...

16. gothamm macrumors 6502a

I'm not gonna lie, i am feeling very envious right now.

I hate you. I really do.

17. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Wow, wow, wow, that's amazing for you. Congrats. Good things come to good people (and those who wait...hehe). That's a mighty nice upgrade you got, too. What surprises me the most is not that they replaced it but that they gave you the newest model! If I were you I'd even be happy with a CD model!

18. Ziessmeister thread starter macrumors newbie

I had been registered here before but was unable to retrieve my previous username. Believe me, I am a skeptic at heart and would e thinking the same thing you are. ;)

19. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

I'm not too dissapointed. I love my pb. Anyhow, the turn around time is only 3 to 4 days!