My Application Folder Empty

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kjs862, Feb 16, 2011.

1. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

After dragging my user application folder into the dock and removing it from the dock, if I go my user directory and select my application folder it is empty. Any idea why this is? I only have one user account on this computer and before dragging it to the dock it would always be filled with my applications. Also for my sidebar, the application shortcut goes directly to the root application folder while I always thought it would go to the user's applications.

2. Aussiebute macrumors newbie

Well my one is empty as well but the root application is one thats the one which is used for my applications.

3. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

The Application folder in the User folder is ONLY used if an Application is installed ONLY for that specific User. Applications are generally installed for ALL Users (even if there's only one) in the root Application folder.

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

You can have either, maybe both.
    Drag the real one there. But if you pick it from Finder Preferences, it will be the root.

5. kjs862 thread starter macrumors 65816

kjs862

Great, thanks for the help guys. I guess I just never realized because I access my programs from the sidebar shortcut! :rolleyes: