My applications are crashing! (iMac late 2009 21.5in)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tmlam21, Jun 15, 2014.

1. tmlam21 macrumors newbie

I have a late 2009 iMac 21.5inches. OS X Version 10.9.3
    Processor: 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory: 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3

So my applications keep crashing randomly, sometimes theres a lag when switching from applications and even on the internet. :mad:

Also when I was trying to load a lot of pictures, it took forever. :mad:

My chrome is also having problems where my webpages keep crashing! :(

WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY iMAC!? :confused::confused:

I tried to look it up and what I am guessing is that it could be the hard drive. Should I upgrade to a SSD? What is the best for my model, and any videos out there that can help a newbie at this kind of things?

If it's better to get someone else to do it, does anyone know where I can go in Dallas, TX?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!!

2. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

This *could* be a bad RAM module. They can go bad and cause exactly what you're seeing. If you lug it to an Apple Store Genius Bar they can run some tests and tell you what's up with the RAM.

You could also have corrupted files within the OS itself. If that's the case you need to backup/wipe/reinstall the OS. Or it could be a failing hard drive. There are utilities you can download to test hardware and maybe somebody else can recommend something they've used. But a trip to the Genius Bar can tell you exactly what's up in one shot.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

In my opinion, the best place for service of your Mac will be your local Apple Genius Bar. It could be the RAM, hard drive, or OS. I would start by opening Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities) and ensuring the S.M.A.R.T Status at the bottom shows as verified. Also try repairing permissions and repairing the disk. Also try running an Apple Hardware Test by holding D at boot.